Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help ! Overrun with I believe Isopods?

billharrison

Yeah what everyone else is saying.

Increase flow. Not super easy in a tiny 1.5G tank but you can even use another hang on back spare mechanical filter to help move water without losing space inside with a nano powerhead.

More movement, cut feeding in half. Water changes more often.

CLEAN YOUR GLASS! :D

I kinda like the hang on back filter idea for more flow if it works - I then could move my heater into it and have more space in the tank. I think I will go with that Idea if I can figure out how to get this stupid led light off the back of the tank.

I had an amphipod problem and after adding a few peppermint shrimp the pods were hunted down endlessly and only came out briefly. Peps will hunt down and kill any pod that is brave enough to come out of his hidey hole.

do the peppermints hunt at night? i only see my pods at night crawling all over my nice stuff...

hmmmm lets see. what will the peppermints bother though.... am i trading one pest for another?

In my experience the peppermints are night hunters, they will hide during the day and then go crazy at night looking for things to eat like aptasia and pods. The peppermint shrimp can bother some corals but I have not had any big problems with them. You should search the forum I think people have had mixed results. My results have been mostly positive.

My six-line wrasse would have the feast of a lifetime in there! The nasty bugger ate a pair of small sexy shrimp 5 minutes after I put them in last night.

It's a *1.5G* tank. A single pep would be just about all the livestock you could have. NOT WORTH IT.

The tank has bigger issues going on here, mainly water quality and flow.

skimlessinseattle

I think upgrading to a 5.5g would be worth consideration to correct the multitude of problems. The upgrade in tank size would allow for more flow, potentially better nutrient control through increased volume, and the addition of a predatory animal like the shrimp as suggested above.

Alternatively, you could always siphon out the amphipods during a water change and give them to your LFS for one of their macro tanks or refugiums.

Whatever route you go, decreasing your algal/nutrient load will help in controlling the pod populations.

Archived