ReefCleaners.org

mustard yellow algae

pilandisland

I've been cycling my 6.6 gal tank for about 2 weeks now, currently my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all at 0 ppm

I noticed this mustard yellow algae growing on my lr now and on my sand bed. I've been searching to see how to control the growth but only come up with results for yellow algae in pools.

I have 2 blue legged hermit crabs and 1 nerite snail. how can i get rid of some/most of the algae? especially on my sand bed. are there cuc's you would recommend for cleaning a small tank like mine?

post-69130-1315975237_thumb.jpg

it would also be growing on my sand bed? its covering most of the rock and my nerite snail is also looking that kind of yellow..i'm not sure it may be sponge..

Hmmm, I couldn't see that from the picture, I just have never seen an algae that color, but have seen many a sponge that color, creeping and encrusting just like yours looks like it's doing on the rocks...

Got any better pictures?

Builder Anthony

wait till it turns green then add a clean up crew.Your sandbed will need to be established with critters or a increase in flow.its a new tank so itll be some time for the sandbed to kick in.your glass will turn green in a few days.decrease your light if it looks like its getting out of hand and dont go crazy feeding because you will develop red cyano and that isnt a good story.

I've also read to clean the lr when I'm doing a water change. I will wait for it to turn green but when the time comes.. Would anyone recommend cleaning the lr and how to go about it

Just let it run it's course. It will die off and turn green that's when you can add the CUC.

What are your Params? SG, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphates?

Those are BIG in new tanks need to monitor weekly when your tank is still so young.

Ofcourse, Makes sense. No I'm not feeding it .. What's in there right now is 1 nerite snail , 2 blue legged crabs. Been in there for about a week

How long has the tank been set up?

I would suggest (if the tank is cycled and about a month old) that you do a water change, 10-20% depending on the size of your tank and keeping the lights off for a few extra hours a day.

Looks good though, just normal tank growth.

Ok that's good news I just didnt want it to be something that would take over my tank.

It's about 3 weeks old right now, my water has evaporated a bit so I was planning on a water change tomorrow . I've got moonlights along w my LEDs . Should I keep those on more than the regular LEDs or turn off all lights all together ?

Builder Anthony

I would only keep them on around 4-5 hours.Your going to have a algae boom soon.I looked atr the pictures you posted and i think your confusing the yellowish algae as a sponge.I dont really see any sponges in there maybe a close up is needed.If you think all that yeelowish green is a sponge its not its algae.

Try to avoid adding any more snails till you see some good green on the glass.Other wise they will probally die when your tank spikes.

I would only keep them on around 4-5 hours.Your going to have a algae boom soon.I looked atr the pictures you posted and i think your confusing the yellowish algae as a sponge.I dont really see any sponges in there maybe a close up is needed.If you think all that yeelowish green is a sponge its not its algae.

Try to avoid adding any more snails till you see some good green on the glass.Other wise they will probally die when your tank spikes.

I didn't really think it was a sponge, there was too much of it.

^

+1

Just let it finish the cycle.

I still have diatoms but I now have Green Hair Algae (GHA) and will be getting my CUC this Monday.

Good luck!

I've read gha can be a real pain. I'm just keepin an eye on my tank for now, probably give it another week or two and it will be about a month and ready to go.

thanks!

I've read gha can be a real pain.

So far ... yes it is <_<

But nothing a little GFO and Carbon can't fix and a CUC and me scrubbing the rock will help get rid of it.

Archived