Coral Vue Hydros

some prices of corals?

pos_user

just started up my system, its 2 weeks old.

I wanted to know some prices of some corals, and other livestock before I actually start purchasing anything.

example. brain, purple mushrooms, some stars. Does anyone know what the average price for these and other corals are.

Feel free to add what you purchased on here and how much. thanks.

Reefer_Buddha

hard to say. Are you talking about ordering online or from an LFS? Ive seen zoos from 12$ for a 1-2" frag. Brain corals from $40-50 gsp is fairly cheap. Usually online you get really good prices but the shipping kills you. I think if you pay over 50$ for a small frag its a ripoff unless its something rare.

yeah, i meant at the LFS. Not online- i have been looking on live aquaria and I see some expensive stuff. and they are prob better priced than any local LFS. but like you said, they sting you on shipping

man thats really hard to say. different locations give different prices on items due to their location and such. like ninhsavestheday said it is best to find a few people in your area and trade with them. and if you have nothing to trade at the moment you could probably purchase a few things from them at a cheaper cost than you would going to a lfs. well good luck in your search.

thanks, im just doing some looking around and some researching to see an average of what some things are. I dont want to get ripped off because I am a new SW man. It very easy to tell how experienced someone is, and they might try to overcharge me.

Of im just paranoid, but better to be safe than broke :)

Blinkgyrl2987

lol ... yeah shipping does hurt.. but so does my LFS... ( which charges alot for corals) so far I think I've bought a rock with like 7 or 8 purple blueish mushrooms on it and it cost me like 50 bucks!Personally that is ridiculous ...you can usually get shrooms for around 20$ ..but the ones I got were worth it so I didn't mind...

I got a star polyp frag for free because the fish store guy likes me (hehe).... and ummm i bought a small ricordia for 25$ (which is also way overpriced)

basically all places you go are going to be different... and theres really no way of knowing if they are overcharging unless you know corals very very well..... I would just use your best judgement... if something doesn't look worth 50$ to you than it probably isn't! One thing is for sure though.... buying corals SLOWLY is the best way to go..... its the only way (most) of us can afford to have them anyways! HTH MEgan~`

You guys are right about the shipping but there ar a few online places that sell "Nano Packs" which are perfect for the small initial set up of your nano reef. By far the best price i found was from www.seacrop.com it was 12 frags for 75 bucks, with shipping its about $120. The only catch is that you can can only specify types, they will choose the species. but hey that is a heck of a deal to add lots of color.

One thing that you can do at the LFS is to go frag hunting atht bottom of the tanks. Most stores will let you do this. Blue Sierra here lets us pick anyhting that has escaped to the bottom of the tanks for $5 bucks each. On some things it is a bit steep, on others it is a screamin deal. It is also good for nanos since we often want to find smaller thngs, and most LFS carry corals for larger tanks.

The most common things that escape to the bottom of tanks are shrooms and GSP, the occasional feather duster, and a few others. Ask your LFS if they will let you do that and see what they have available.

cool...im gonna give that a try. Not gonna get anything until my 96w PC quad comes in to give me the lighting i need.

I will go to my LFS today and see what frags they have.

Archived