Cultivated Reef

new 20 gallon need lighting help

qtpinoyboy408

qtpinoyboy408

Hi everyone!

i'm saying this early but thanks a head of time for the help. I'm trying to do a setup before i go and buy all the goods. but i was gonna get a 20 gallon tank. I wanted to know about what lighting would be adequate for my tank. I want to have a coral reef with two clown fish and maybe a fire fish. I'm not sure what kind of coral yet thought. Thats why i need help in picking one out that would probley apply to most corals in a tank. I want it to be a really good one but not cost a fortune. I'm a college student with a passion and no funds. =-)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Ryan

theclearblue

Go metal halide while your income is still somewhat from your parents. Believe me that upgrade will seem all the more expensive when you're out of school.

Seriously though, you've got to decide how important stocking your tank is. I had a limited amount of funds to work with and decided to go with metal halide. Granted, it was at the expense of being able to stock it with really cool coral, but in the end it's a decision you have to make for yourself.

I'd say if you have a limited budget, go with the CSL 24" you'll be able to upgrade it to a really clean looking metal halide fixture in the future, and in the meantime you'll be able to support any softies/mushrooms.

HTH

Archived