Pod Your Reef

A fish to get along with my yellow tail blue damsel

miggs76

I have a Biocube 14 with hermit crabs, snails, and coral frags. I also have a yellowtail blue damsel named Esther. It is my first saltwater fish and i'm happy to say she is loving life in there. I've had her for about 2 weeks now. I wanted to get something cheap as my first fish. I eventually want to get two clownfish but I won't put them in the tank with Esther because I am afraid they would fight. I have no plans to get rid of Esther so if I have to wait years until she goes to fishy heaven then so be it. In the meantime.....is there any type of fish I can put in a Biocube 14 that won't fight with Esther?????

I have a Biocube 14 with hermit crabs, snails, and coral frags. I also have a yellowtail blue damsel named Esther. It is my first saltwater fish and i'm happy to say she is loving life in there. I've had her for about 2 weeks now. I wanted to get something cheap as my first fish. I eventually want to get two clownfish but I won't put them in the tank with Esther because I am afraid they would fight. I have no plans to get rid of Esther so if I have to wait years until she goes to fishy heaven then so be it. In the meantime.....is there any type of fish I can put in a Biocube 14 that won't fight with Esther?????

There are plenty of fish that won't fight Esther. However, there are only a few fish that Esther won't fight... damsels are a mean breed. You'd have to get something that will put up a fight and not be pushed around. I'd suggest a six line wrasse. They're feisty and constantly swimming. Great addition to any tank IMHO.

I'm a little confused... are you looking for a fish that is peaceful and won't pester your damselfish or are you looking for a fish with a similar level of aggression? I would assume you're looking at the latter (since damselfish are usually quite aggressive). You could look into a sixline wrasse (your tank might be to small though), clownfish (Ocellaris or percula- they are well known to handle aggression from tankmates, but I'm not sure, since the damselfish has already established itself) or another yellowtail (in hopes that they would become a pair).

I'm a little confused... are you looking for a fish that is peaceful and won't pester your damselfish or are you looking for a fish with a similar level of aggression? I would assume you're looking at the latter (since damselfish are usually quite aggressive). You could look into a sixline wrasse (your tank might be to small though), clownfish (Ocellaris or percula- they are well known to handle aggression from tankmates, but I'm not sure, since the damselfish has already established itself) or another yellowtail (in hopes that they would become a pair).

I'm looking for any fish that would live in harmony with Esther. I know she is the mean one.

Its a 14gallon right? Hard to find something after already having a damsel that already established its territory. If you do get a fish, make sure you can take it back to the lfs

Might be pushing the bioload a bit but the pair of clowns that you want would probably get along with it. The yellowtails are the least aggressive of the damsels, and a pair of clowns would stick together and be able to withstand any aggression anyway.

I have a YTD with a sixline and starry blenny, there's virtually no aggression in my tank. Are there exceptions? Of course, but IME with about 6 different ones, YTD's are pretty passive. Choosing a fish that doesn't occupy the same space is a great choice. Blennies and gobies that hug the rocks or perch, sixlines that stay close to the rocks, and other fish that stay closer to the rocks are all viable options.

Never owned a YTD...always see them with lot's of other fish, living peacefully, at the LFS. LOL.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.....I will think about it and give it a shot.

All my yellow tail damsel does is hide behind a rock unless I am feeding it. Does your swim in the open?

I don't know about OP, but my current one and most I've had never hide and are always out. I feel shamefully self promoting saying this but that's not my intention, watch one of my tank updates to see what I mean. He rarely retreats to the rock work.

I don't know about OP, but my current one and most I've had never hide and are always out. I feel shamefully self promoting saying this but that's not my intention, watch one of my tank updates to see what I mean. He rarely retreats to the rock work.

Did it at first? Only had mine about 5 days.

A YTD was my first fish in my 29BC, and it was in the tank about 5 weeks before adding a small clownfish. The YTD basically claimed the front part of the tank and a good portion of the rock as its own, and the clown is relegated to hanging out at the back corners and behind the rockwork against the back wall. Not what I wanted.

I too read a lot of anectodatal tales about YTD being the least aggressive of the damsels... but mine was still aggressive enough to terrify my clownfish. I was hoping the clownfish would be aggressive enough to sort of fight back and claim some territory for himself, but that hasn't been the case. With a peaceful fish in a QT, the YTD will have to go. I think I waited too long before putting in a second fish. not sure if your fish has claimed all territory as her own at 2 weeks... but your tank is smaller too.

Archived