Top Shelf Aquatics

Can I start the 'fuge first?

darkgumby

I have collected all of the hardware and test kits, etc to start my first nano tank. It's a 7 gallon minibow.

Right now funds are tight so I can't spring for a full load of live sand and live rock.

Can I put some live rock rubble and macro algae in the 'fuge first then a week later add live sand and then in another week or two add the live rock?

The LR is right across the street at the LFS and it will only be exposed to air for a few seconds because I can transport it in a water-filled bucket. It's cured so I don't expect a lot of die off in my tank.

I don't want a bunch of mini cycles that kill the stuff that has grown when I add stuff later.

Whatca think?

no mater what the tank will cycle to some degree if the rock is cured it's just not the same stress on the system

i would put the hardware togther first

fill with quality water and buy some good sand if you buy LR you will have live sand in a few weeks i do not see the the big deal

if you are low on money just take time in between each step

do not be too concerned about the die off in a month or 2 you won't even think about it what happened :)

but i would do araganite sand live or not then wait, and save to buy all of your lr at once

Got it.

Will it be a problem for the stuff that grows in the 'fuge if I start the 'fuge before the rest of the tank? I don't want to wipe out pods and macro algae by having another cycle when I add LS and LR.

ER.......what is a "fuge"......I hear about people wanting to add them to their tank, but I dont even know what one is!.......

It sounds like some kind of sump for filtering out large debris, is this correct?.

EtOH_is_good

fuge = refugium

can mean a lot of things to different people. additional volume, biological filtration, nutrient export, place to hide heater, refuge for pod growth. there's also a ton of ways to create one. hang on backs (HOBs) or like you say a sump. HOB overflows may be slightly better because pods won't be destroyed by a pump.

mattie, thanks for the info. Good news is I just came into some bux so I will be able to get the sand and LR all at once.

mburton2,

I will be using a modified Aqua Clear 500 for a 'fuge. I will add an acrylic baffle to slow and redirect the flow across the top of the filter. I bought an extra impeller so I can experiment with cutting it down (again to reduce the flow) and not risk totally disabling the 'fuge.

I got the A500 and extra impeller from Big Al's Online. Best price I could find anywhere. $70 at 3 different LFS, $31 at Big Al's. Excellent customer service too!

I will use live rock rubble to encourage microfauna growth and macro algae for nutrient export.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details. I'm pretty much a newbie but I've been lurking here for a looong time. :)

See the Refugium Discussion forum for more info.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/forumdispl...p?s=&forumid=27

This thread (and the link in the top entry) provide good pictures and discussion about A500 modification and why it's done the way it's done.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=26175

I am also planning on using the AC500 for a refugium. Alot of people have been very happy with the add-on surface skimmer. You should check into that also. I believe it is around $7 at Big Al's.

Archived