inTank Media Baskets

Adding a small amount of cured LR to and established system

GobyMan

I am thinking of adding a few additional small pieces of LR to my 5 1/2 system. Mostly to get more shelves/and raise my frags up a bit closer to the light. Would adding some cured pieces throw my system out of whack. I live about 5 miles from a company called Captive Bred Corals and this is where I got my original LR and LS. I think my "cycle" lasted 3 days.

Thanks.

I need to do this too. I would imagine it's OK so long as the rock is fully cured and it's not out of the water long. I didn't see any spikes when I initially added my rock, so I would obviously use the same supplier. I'd be interested to hear anyone's experience with doing this.

I got my LR from Harbor Aquatics and kept it submerged in a 5g bucket on the drive home. Zero die-off. You're a lot closer to CBC than I am to Harbor, so you shouldn't have any problem.

i did the same thing about a month ago, a while after my cycle had been over. Everything turned out fine with no spike in ammonia or nitrites. just make sure the rock is totally cured.

Just because U bought rock that was "cured" in their systems, does not guarontee they wont foul the system U have. They can be ballanced and be "Cured" according to their tanks water bacteria population, but some residual die off can always occur.

to be safe, test often for the first week, and do a few w/c. better safe than sorry.;)

Many times I have had rock cured in my systems, and put them in a customer tanks to have them REcycle......

I added an extra 5lbs of cured rock 2 weeks after the initial batch of rocks.

I didnt get any spikes etc.

I totally agree with what Dave says though.

Some die off may occur, but usually adding a small amount of live rock to an established system doesnt register ammonia or nitrite readings.

YEP.... just wanted to say yep.

watch the nitrate end. Over night it can spike a bit, but the establishe bacteria will usualy handle the No2/3 load nicely.;)

Archived