ReefCleaners.org

can this lighting be used for FW as well?

pos_user

Just wanted to run this by you guys. If I buy the 96 quad PC for my 10 gallon. If all falls, or if I upgrade my lights, would I be able to use that quad PC on my freshwater 20 gallon high tank. Its FW with Live plants and the bulb i'm using now is a 20w piece of junk. They plants are growing only because i have a DIY co2 reactor for them.

Will the quad 96w bulb, 10,000k actually be good or perfect for a fresh water tank. The only thing the quad has is actinics which the FW doesnt need, but it still might enhance everything.

Let me know. thanks.

I've got an african in a 10 gal with a 50/50 96w quad over it for a month or so now and it looks pretty good. The plants (the grow your own from seed walmart ones) are growing/flowering and the fish has good color.

yeah, i assumed it would be ok. the quad is what im talking about. its half 10,000 k and half actinic. The actinic would do no good, but the 10,000 k bulb at 96 will be enough for the FW as well. Thanks for the help...just wanted to know if anyone did that already. :)

It may be good for the plant life, but not for the fish. Over long term exposure they may be stressed to the point of ick break outs due to the intense 10k bulb. In the wild the most an african ciclid will ever see is 7.5k at the brightest. gouramis , danios, puffers and the like that can go brackish or fresh will have the same back ground with 7.5k being the best they get in the wild.

I would be sure to provide plenty of good caves and hiding spots for them. The reason the colors on the fish look brighter is sort of a black light effect is going on with the neon colors and the actinics.

yeah, i have a 2 year old established 20 gallon with a lot of live plants, and hiding spots. 2 rams, 3 ottos, 2 skirt tetras and I was thinking of putting the 96 PC on that if things fail on my 10 gallon (which it shouldnt) but just gives me peace of mind knowing that I wont be wasting 100 bucks on Power compacts if the 10 gallon nano doesnt do well, or if I upgrade lights. Taking the 10 gallon SW very slowly, I have nothing but time.

Execelnt plan!!!! That is the most sound and best advice I woukld give somone starting up a reef. Take it slow. Wait as long as you can before you stock it as well. Try to leave just the rock sand and lights, (with mabye a fish & snails) , for a month or two.

Dont add any corals yet. You will see a HUGE difference in your new tank and someones who didnt wait very long. Calcium will be miore stable and already buffered. As well the ph will stabelize, as well as kh, alk, nitrite, nitrate, amonia. You will just be much happier if you wait. less chance of the tank having a melt down after you add your first couple of corals either. ect ect...

yeah, i have rushed into things way too many times, the reason being because it was financially within reach. FW was never as expensive. Now that im getting into SW, i am gradually seeing how much all this is actually going to cost. So its a bit of experience, and wallet size that is slowing me down, which is a good thing anyway. I'm in no rush, dont want to make any stupid mistake and overlook anything...besides with a 10gallon tank, one dead fish could be disaster to all the livestock in the tank, i wouldnt want to risk it either.

Archived