Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need reviews on Red Coral Sea Salt

icecube

Has anyone used this brand of sea salt??

Its the only brand available with my LFS now and i want to know more about whether its good or bad, incase it isint good i'l have to source from a different state. I tried searching the site and also the web but couldnt find any info or reviews on it. Any tips/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Went from Reef Crystals to Res Sea Salt several months ago, tank looks very healthy, I think you will find most people rate this mix as one of the best.

use the search function or google red sea coral salt. there are tons of threads and reviews on it, youd be better off reading those.

You beat me to it. Research before asking please. I tried it. Didn't like it. It leaves a white film in the mixing barrel. IO is better IMO. A professor at Penn State did some research on bacteria levels in synthetic salt vs. the levels at actual reefs. I can't remember his name, but he did a presentation for the reef club in charlotte. His results showed all synthetic salts had a higher bacterial level than the ocean. Not the kind of bacteria you want either. The red sea salt had the highest level. I can dig it up if you would like. Nevermind, i'll dig it up soon.

Ok, I just saw that it's red coral, not red sea. I wouldn't trust it. Made in China? That's not going in my tank.

You beat me to it. Research before asking please. I tried it. Didn't like it. It leaves a white film in the mixing barrel. IO is better IMO. A professor at Penn State did some research on bacteria levels in synthetic salt vs. the levels at actual reefs. I can't remember his name, but he did a presentation for the reef club in charlotte. His results showed all synthetic salts had a higher bacterial level than the ocean. Not the kind of bacteria you want either. The red sea salt had the highest level. I can dig it up if you would like. Nevermind, i'll dig it up soon.

Ok, I just saw that it's red coral, not red sea. I wouldn't trust it. Made in China? That's not going in my tank.

You know red sea salt isn't synthetic, right?

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt left a lot of Dirty residue in my mixing buckets and I always had undisolved cyrstals in the bottom of the bucket preventing me from using all of the water during a change. I seemed to have good results, but I switched to Reef Crystals a year and a half ago and have had better results with little to no residue and it disolves better.

Mixing procedure - 2 1/2 cups salt in 5 gal rodi water mixed with mj-1200 for 24 hours at least.

what are the basic things i should look for in a sea salt??

any links, tips would be greatly appreciated

Reef central has a stickied various salt measurements thread. Measuring the big three. I'd start there.

Did not like this salt, for some reason it caused STN on any SPS I put in my new build, and I started the new 40g build with 100% Red Sea Pro. After tons of testing and browsing through RC the problem was fixed by switching salt.

I personally wouldn't use this salt mix. It's only $20 bucks a bag; but did you notice the shipping price?

You could get a high quality salt mix from the LFS for way cheaper. You would end up paying $144 for 8KG of salt mix. Save some money and buy a high quality salt mix locally and I'm sure you would end up with better results than if you used this salt.

Archived