SaltCritters.com

Anyone have the HelloLights 13watt retro?

Wasabi

What are the exact dimensions of the hood space that I'll need to install 2 of them? Will an 8"L x 4"W space work? Thanks for any advice,

Scott

The whole unit, including reflector is 8" x3.5". Since you're talking about the retro, which I imagine is without the reflector, the thing still comes to 2.5" wide thanks to the integrated ballast. I can't conceive of a way yo fit two of these in an 8x4 space.

Sorry.

Matthew

Thanks for the replies guys,

I thought the retro ballast was only 1.65" wide according to the hellolights site:

http://www.hellolights.com/13watbalkit.html

I think I'm mixing up the retro with the plain ballast kit. Is the bulb wider than 1.65"? I don't plan on using their reflector but am going to line the interior of my hood with Mylar. Maybe I should consider an AH Supply setup with the remote ballast. Could I fit two of those in the space I need? My other option is to scrap the Eclipse filter and mount the second lamp in the filter cover. That might give me better light coverage anyways. I don't plan on using the Eclipse filter for filtration but wanted it to hold some media(Purigen) once in a while and to aid in circulation. The back of the filter cover could be cut out and I could go with a HOB Aquaclear instead. I think the AQ 150 would be the only one that would fit.

Scott

Two 13 watt combo bulbs and sockets from AHSupply will work. I will be a tight fit because they are 7.5 inches long. You'll have to install the ballasts on the back of the hood or behind the tank.

That may save me a half an inch or so and still give me the 10k-50/50 option. I notice you have an AQ 200 on your 5.5. Is that all you have for circulation? Is it sufficient? I'm wondering how to get some decent circulation in a hex tank without a whirlpool effect and the AQ might be the way to go. This would definitely workout if I scrap the Eclipse filter and mount my second lamp in the filter cover part of the hood. Thanks again,

Scott

The aquaclear provides enough circulation but it all dumps in the same location. I have turned down the aquaclear to the lowest flow because it digs a hole in the sand in the front of the tank. I added a very small powerhead in one corner to add a different current to the tank. I also keep the heater in the filter.

You can fit two of the Hellolights 13w kits in the 8 x 4 inch space if you ditch the reflectors. The bulb and ballast is just under 1.75 inches wide and the reflector is 3.5 inches wide. You could always cut one side off each reflector and overlap them so they fit in you 4inch width. I'm putting three 13w kits over a 10"x8" space.

I appologize for the wrong measurement on the ballast. I was just looking at how many I could fit in my 5g hood, and was certain they were 2.5". Being off by an inch makes quite a difference!

Thanks again for all the input everyone,

Will I run into any heat problems with the ballast attached the way it is? It looks like an easy setup to mount. Should I go with a separate ballast type setup like AH Supply has to keep the ballast heat away from the tank?

Scott

Scott,

Be sure to check the bulb legnth before you order them. They vary in size, the one I measured for you was the AHS 50/50.

Liz

Thanks Liz,

I'll make sure to check before I order. I'm looking forward to putting my nano together. Planning this thing has been half the fun. Now hopefully, it all comes together OK.

Scott

Archived