Coral Vue Hydros

I need a bare lighting hood, where to get it?

SaltyMist

I need a bare lighting hood (preferably one that allows fans to be installed) for a 20H tank.

The measurements are 24" side to side.

Currently I have a cheapo lighting hood that accepts my one 65w light, but I've found that I need two of these which is unsightly ontop of my tank, as well as extremely hot, so I need a hood that will hold 2 65w 24" tubes, these are coralife 65w power compact squarepin tubes,

I've looked but find nothing but retrofit kits that dont come with a hood, and I dont want to make some huge wooden hood and add to the already overweighted desk that this 20 gallon sits on.

So where do I buy just a hood that will accept 2 65w powercompact lights that doesnt exceed 24" and will accept a fan or two?

Thanks,

Rain gutter from home depot. Just line the inside of it with metalic heat tape. Bigest bang for the buck that way if you ask me.

You can get the length of nylon gutter cut to length and the ends caps installed while you wait for around 20-25 bucks. Then drill your holes for wire and cut a hole for the fan. Line the inside with metalic heat tape and you prevent heat warpage and provide ahighly reflective suface at the same time.

Thanks, but the problem is that 2 raingutters would look the same as my two existing light hoods. These are the cheapo light fixtures that often come with glass tanks.

Currently I have just now (literally minutes ago) drilled several 3/4 inch holes in the top of the fixture, (but not through the reflector - pulled out the reflector first, then drilled holes) to let out what ever hot air they can let out.

But would prefer one of these hoods that fit two of these in them and have a hole already there for adding a fan or two to them.

Thanks though, your reply is appreciated.

I read a post somewhere about taking a "mud pan" from home depot and putting PC's in it for a pendant or some such. If I recall correctly, the person had fit two PC bulbs side by side in there.

Measure your bulbs, head up to home depot and stroll around with a tape measure.

Good luck.

-q

dry wall mud pan... good good idea! i have a new one at the house that i was eventually planning to rig up. galvanized, i believe, so no worries about rust...plus it's paintable.

You can try contacting PSL or maybe look for a hydroponics store, and see if they will sell you their strip light housing by the foot.

NOpe. Was not a dryt wall mud pan it was a rain gutter. You can get them as wide as you want salty mist. They are readly available at over 12"wide in the show room. any wider and you may have to wait a day or have them call another store. It Looks just like a hamilton lighting hanging pentant to me. ;) You can also use any number of other things as long as you water proof the finish first and cut a hole for the fan. For instance. Remeber those hanging light fixtures you used to see over the pool tables in a bar room? I know a guy who has one over his 180g with halides retroed in. Just takes a little imagination is al. I am a die hard cheap ass when it comes to spending large sums on small items. I see no reason somthing should cost so much more then somthing else that is virtualy the same thing minus a reflector or a fan hole? ')

Hmmm, I'll have to go scope out my not so local Home Depot tommorrow, and see if they have any of these 12" wide raingutters.

If I could get one 12" wide by 24" long it would work perfectly

Thanks, I didnt know that raingutters came in anything but the standard house size of like 4 or so inches.

Yep they do. They can be found in some prety fany shmancy looking designs as well. You just have to know where to look. Also if they dont have any thing in stock then ask them to use the "bench - break" to bend you some out of stock-roll.

/you ever see those old houses with the big arse gutters on them? They have been replaced at one time to match the original.

If it is too flimsy feeling when they have it put together then just add an "L" bracket here and there with some sort of heat reaistant adhesive.

Sorry if I am rambeling and miss spelling horendously. I am at work and have yet to go to lunch !! ( Since 9 am , Now 7:30pm!!!) Been working steady on this damn computer.)

Think I wil go to lunch now or is that dinner? LOL!!!!

Archived