SaltCritters.com

Best technique for clipping algae?

stan

What does everyone here use to clip their hair algae?

I have a few patches of hair algae that's getting long. About an inch or so. The snails and hermit crabs like to graze on the short stuff but nobody likes to hang out in the jungle. I was hoping to mow it down short and let them do the rest.

So what techniques have worked for you? I was thinking just to use a siphon to stretch it out and then use a pair of scissors to clip it down. and hopefully the siphon will suck out the majority spores that im releasing.

Oh, one more thing......

I'm not even sure this particular tuft of green is hair algae. I had a spot of long hair algae on another part of the tank and the siphon just sucked it up without me touching it... this particular spot is very well rooted and i cant even yank it out. I look closely and it has almost a "fern like" look to it. Caulerpa?

I'd include a picture but the ones i took only show a big green undefined mass.

Oh, one more thing......

I'm not even sure this particular tuft of green is hair algae.  I had a spot of long hair algae on another part of the tank and the siphon just sucked it up without me touching it... this particular spot is very well rooted and i cant even yank it out.  I look closely and it has almost a "fern like" look to it. Caulerpa?

I'd include a picture but the ones i took only show a big green undefined mass.

It could be Feather Caulpera

I'm getting the odd tuft of hair algae too, I always get frustrated and yank it off, only to have it float all over my tank. Removing any of my LR from my nano is out of the question since theres corals growing off every peice of it so its gonna have to be some kind of "in-tank" deal . .

so yah, stan - good question - been thinkin about that myself.

d.

I've been using a bamboo skewer. Just stick it in the center of the algae clump and twirl it. The algae will wrap around it like spagetti and is very easy to remove.

Thanks for the info everybody.

I just did a search on Bryopsis and sadly, it looks like that's what i got. First an Aptasia and now Bryopsis...

Im with Darwin604, taking the rock out and cleaning it with a toothbrush or something sounds like a good idea but i want to avoid taking this piece out of the tank if at all possible as it props up 2 other pieces of LR and i dont want to break down all the rock work.

Gonna try to the bamboo skewer tonight and see if i can pull it out this way.

Archived