ReefCleaners.org

Deeznutz 1.2 HD pico

deeznutz

I never thought of that, sound like a good idea. I've never kept max minis. Ric seem to be hard to attach in such a small tank. As for the flaming pawn goby, these are pretty rare fish aren't they?

thanks for the advice.

NP! maxies would eat any fish you decide to put in there. http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expand.asp...mp;SortBy=Price rare fish indeed. DD sometimes gets them. :happy:

Update time...

OK so since my last post, a lot has changed. I've been running the tank for a week and all my test corals were very stressed after a few days and so I had to removed them. I couldn't figure out why, but I knew something was wrong. More on this later.

So one day I decided that I was fed up with the surface scum that was building up. I was sick of it and I didn't know what to do. So this is what I did. Since I'm running a standard durso style drain, I had no way of surface skimming without an overflow box etc. So after staring at the durso functioning, I noticed that the water line would cover half the pipe. So I decided to remove the stand pipe and cut a slot where the water line was and hope to the Pico gods that it would work fingerscrossed . To my surprise it worked flawlessly and without noise. omgomgomg

Here's a pic of the durso with the deeznutz mod ;)

3ca8f91c.jpg

Going back to why my tank wasn't doing well with the corals in was realized when I was putting everything back together. I noticed that I plugged the heater in with my light timer :eek: Defiantly an amateur move at best. At least the problem was found earlier then later.

Another problem I encounter was micro bubbles :angry: This was somewhat of an easy fix. I had to reduce the flow from the sump( I love saying this :P ) and i made a plastic cover to enclose the pump. Since there is very little room and it's not exactly easy to access the sump, I found that this was the easiest fix for now. The micro bubbles have subsided quite a bit, so it's good enough for now.

After I reduced the flow from the sump I realized that the flow in the tank was, well...pretty much none existent. :haha: So i decided to add a closed loop to this tank. I added about 104 gph and built a little rock thingy. I'm using a maxi jet 400 i believe and the flow is fantastic :D

Here's a pic of the closed loop

21f74c60.jpg

I've also continued to add corals to this tank and so far, so good.

Corals that have been added are

Orange setosa

ORA birds of paridise

blue acro

green tonga mushroom

green palys

Fish and inverts are coming soon, I'm just going to wait a bit longer for that just to be sure.

Some more pics, I changed the white balance, tank is a lot bluer but this show the tank better online.

thanks for looking

6100d9b3.jpg

bf1d87b4.jpg

13bf7bdb.jpg

372af309.jpg

519640c2.jpg

And some more of the blue pics :)

e773bc8b.jpg

894e09dd.jpg

47fcac82.jpg

ddb656b7.jpg

ca261bd2.jpg

Thanks for looking and I can't wait to update

Looking really nice! Glad you noticed the heater issue, that could have been a disaster!

Thanks, now that the tank is on track, i find that it gets a little hotter then I would like. It sit at 83f and I'm not liking that. Plus I find the light is just too much for corals. I have to tape off 3 of 5 bulbs, before the green tonga mushroom even opens. The birds nest on top got blasted with light and bleached two days later. I guess 2" from the water surface is just too close.

I'm going to have to acclimate all corals that enter this tank, just to be safe from now on.

I'm starting to get diatoms in the tank now and even though it's ugly, it makes me really excited because I know the cycling process is currently doing its thing. I'd like to add a snail in a few weeks to see how they fair in the tank. As for corals, well gsp and monti caps grow like weeds and they will still be the testers before nice corals go in.

I'm going to start fragging stuff so they can heal for a bit before being added to this tank. I think the whole fresh cuts from the DT and then straight into the pico is just too stressful.

I think this tank is going to be quite a challenge, I guess I underestimated the 1.2g pico at first, but I guess that's the whole point of having a successful pico. Learning the tanks characteristics, minimizing stress and keeping things constant!

until then...

-dan

Looking good man. Only comment that you might need to look out for is that the fixture holding the bulb might get pretty darn hot. Usually these lights needs some air to breath. I'm using two of the exact combo bulbs that you are using. I love the color on mine, keep the updates coming!

Looking good man. Only comment that you might need to look out for is that the fixture holding the bulb might get pretty darn hot. Usually these lights needs some air to breath. I'm using two of the exact combo bulbs that you are using. I love the color on mine, keep the updates coming!

Thanks for the heads up, I did notice that the bulbs gets pretty hot. How hot is hot? What's the ideal running temperature? The fixture does have holes at the top to vent the air though. Maybe I should add a fan?

I'd love to update now, but the tank is now empty and covered in diatoms. I guess it's a good thing :)

what a cute little tank :wub:

Isn't it... B)

One knew a dog called Deeznutz. He was a boxer.

What a coincidence, I'm a dog and love to box hahaha. J/K

Small update...no pics :P

Over the last week I've been experiencing diatoms, but today i can home and no more diatoms??? Isn't that weird without clean up crew? I wanted to add a snail from my display to test the waters, but there's no algae for him to eat :( So a added another pice of sps. I added a blue mille thats growing like a weed. So far it's open and happy.

The last few sps I added only last about a 2 days before they showed signs of stress. I'll be reducing the light from the led to acclimate it properly.

until then.

-dan

thats awesome i with i had the time/know-how to make that and create a small reef with a pom pom crab. that'd be sweet in my opinion. tanks awesome.

Thanks man, the milli is still looking good today with great polyp extension.

I'm sure you can crate an amazing pico reef with the help from members here and a little bit of motivation.

-dan

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been 3 weeks since my last update, so I decided it's time to update:bounce1:

The last few weeks have been pretty much just cycling the tank. I've just added some coral these last few days. I also added a snail as well. He's doing well, but not cleaning the algae on the rock as much as I had hoped. I'm not sure what else I can get to help eat this stuff. I'm also finding that cleaning the glass is a daily thing on this tank and it's a pain in the butt with a nano mag float.

I'm still dealing with the salt creep problem. The tank and sump are just too tightly sealed that any opening where water can evaporate, it leaves salt creep all around the bottom of the tank where it meets the stand. Lucky it the white stand hides it well. I'm thinking of running the sump through the table saw so I have another inch so the water can evaporate easier and possibly reduce the amount of salt creep accumulation. Any thoughts on that?

Enough with the boring updates, on the pics!

These first few I did a customer WB to should the coral colour and glow from the leds

243e60d6.jpg

b9f474ba.jpg

8f587cc0.jpg

Here are the regular pics where the colours are a bit washed out. Sorry for the algae on the rocks :huh:

ccff8d68.jpg

dd1ad616.jpg

dcd1b118.jpg

708d0d85.jpg

a9a89074.jpg

aa2b4838.jpg

ef7313bb.jpg

7e41222c.jpg

56dda9b0.jpg

So far I am very happy with the tank, I just have to figure out the salt creep thing and I'm good.

I hipe you enjoyed the pics :)

thanks

-dan

Haha yes, I love the fact that the lamp is bigger than the tank.

Looks great, despite the algae. I would add another snail or two, a trochus perhaps/

This pic looks like the little Pixar animation light looking over your tank :lol:

Hahaha, it sure does. Kind of cool eh?

Haha yes, I love the fact that the lamp is bigger than the tank.

Looks great, despite the algae. I would add another snail or two, a trochus perhaps/

Thanks, the algae is subsiding now. I've added two little snails. They are pretty lazy, but at least there alive.

Update...

I just added a trio of sexy shrimp. Cool little guys and so far so good. What are people feeding them and how often? I've read they can eat corals if they get hungry.

Also I've noticed that film algae grows on the glass pretty quickly. I don't even feed the tank and I'm doing massive 1/2 gallon w/c every week. I'd say it's pretty much a 25% w/c

Macro shot!

124fc827.jpg

thanks

-dan

Archived