ReefCleaners.org

Updated - 3 Gallon Eclipse

BruceRee

Here's an updated picture of my 3 Gallon Eclipse. I've since doubled the lighting from a 13 watt 50/50 power compact to 2*13 watt power compacts (1*actnic/1*daylight). This creates a cool dusk to dawn effect. The picture unfortunately still looks a little dark, but my inhabitants finally seem to be thriving.

Inhabitants:

Green Star Polyp

Open Brain

Ricordea

Leather?

Various Softies

Various Zoos

Various Mushrooms

I'm not quite sure what this one is. At the store, they called it something like a lemonelia. It some sort of soft coral at any rate

theclearblue

That clownfish is a whale! Oh... 3 gallon tank. If you took a picture of the tank without the powerhead in it I'm sure I could be convinced it was a 10 gallon tank.

I like your aquascaping, looks like you have some nice ledges. It seems so hard to find good small live rock.

winniebagel

Bruce - do you put some sort of glass/acryllic barrier between the lights and the water? I've seen pictures of a burnt eclipse tank and it's not a pretty sight.. I'd hate to see such a terrific looking nano become a fire hazard from accidental water splashes!

winniebagel

Actually, I'm about to start up an Eclipse 3G nano currently and have some questions for you, you that is skilled in the ways of the 3G. :D

1) How are your softies and LPS brain doing under the 2 13w lights? Are they sufficient enough to keep the inhibitants happy and thriving?

2) How much LR is currently residing in your tank?

3) How deep is the sandbed (how many pounds of LS did you add) in your 3Ger? I was thinking about adding about 3-4 lbs of LS into my nano when I get started.

4) Do you use any other filtration methods other than the stock filter that came with the E3?

Originally posted by winniebagel

Bruce -  do you put some sort of glass/acryllic barrier between the lights and the water? I've seen pictures of a burnt eclipse tank and it's not a pretty sight.. I'd hate to see such a terrific looking nano become a fire hazard from accidental water splashes!

Unfortunately there is no space for a glass/acryllic barrier =( The lights are actually resting on the plastic rib that runs down the middle of the tank. The computer fan seems to be supplying enough air flow to keep the temperature down so that it doesn't melt.

Actually, I'm about to start up an Eclipse 3G nano currently and have some questions for you, you that is skilled in the ways of the 3G. :D

1) How are your softies and LPS brain doing under the 2 13w lights? Are they sufficient enough to keep the inhibitants happy and thriving?

2) How much LR is currently residing in your tank?

3) How deep is the sandbed (how many pounds of LS did you add) in your 3Ger? I was thinking about adding about 3-4 lbs of LS into my nano when I get started.

4) Do you use any other filtration methods other than the stock filter that came with the E3?

The softies and brain are doing great and thriving. With a single 13 watt, I had some softies die off. So, I recommend using at least 26 watts of light.

The sandbed is about 1-2", but I wish I gone with much less. I know it helps in filtration, but it's ugly. The sand near the glass I'm frequently using a scraper to clear out green and purple algae growing in the sand. In retrospect, I would have only used like 0.5" max. As far as weight, I think it's about 3-4 pounds currently.

For filtration, I'm just using the standard Eclipse filtration minus the biowheel.

winniebagel

thanks so much for the quick response! You've cleared up quite a few questions that I've had before I take the 3G plunge.

btw, that tank is absolutely amazing. I hope I can someday have a tank like that :)

Originally posted by Gujustud

How does your clownfish fair in that tank?

I think he's been doing fine. Kind of shy at times, but when it's feeding time, he gets really inquisitive. People keep saying he's too big for the tank. He seems happy to me though.

That lemonelia leather or whatever it may be is BEAUTIFUL!!! I want one!!!! Seriously, I've never used the word gorgeous to describe a coral (and I still won't now) but it's pretty cool! One of the coolest leather's I've ever seen period. You really got a great steal there- if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

Bruce! Nice!!!

Quick question . . . what type of powerhead is that? Also, are you using any kind of HOB filter? I'm assuming you've removed the eclipse filtration system to make room for the lights.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sting

That lemonelia leather or whatever it may be is BEAUTIFUL!!!  I want one!!!!  Seriously, I've never used the word gorgeous to describe a coral (and I still won't now) but it's pretty cool!  One of the coolest leather's I've ever seen period.  You really got a great steal there- if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

I think it was like $40 from Aquarium Concepts in Hayward, CA. Both Aquarium Concepts and Tropical Paradise are great resources!

Originally posted by DSparks

Bruce!  Nice!!!

Quick question . . . what type of powerhead is that? Also, are you using any kind of HOB filter? I'm assuming you've removed the eclipse filtration system to make room for the lights.

Thanks!

Actually, I'm just using the Eclipse filtration minus the BIO wheel. As for the powerhead, it's a Rio 50. The lights were able to fit pretty tightly in front of the filtration.

That is amazing... I have a Eclipse system three just lying around too! Where did you buy the lights and what kind of heater are you using (let me guess your not)? One more question and I'm done I swear, what size fan are you using? Great job!

-Grant

REEF ON!

I've seen pictures of a burnt eclipse tank and it's not a pretty sight..

I believe that person was using NON water proof endcaps for his lights, That salt creeps a biartch! P.S. yours look like non water proof, I'd look into that? maybe...

That said, Nice tank. It is awesome what some people can do with 3 gallons of water.

Let me add to Grant's question in asking, Does it matter which way the cooling fan points?? (1) blowing cool air from the ouside towards the inside of the tank, or (2) blowing warm air from the inside of the tank to the outside??

spongebillyboi

placement on your corals might be off man. brain is prob too close to that leather. brain's sweep (stinging) tentacles can come out 6 inches. not 100% sure about shrooms near zoos, but I would tend to think it's too close. From what I've read, pruning is a no no. I would let them duke it out if they start to. I hope they don't kill each other off. I agree, clown looks a little big for 3gal. Beautiful aquascaping and overall appearence! Good Luck!!! :)

Originally posted by sponger47

Let me add to Grant's question in asking, Does it matter which way the cooling fan points?? (1) blowing cool air from the ouside towards the inside of the tank, or (2) blowing warm air from the inside of the tank to the outside??

I think it's like a 3" Computer Fan that I have blowing into the tank. The direct air cools off the lights enough so that they don't melt the plastic. I think there definitely would be a melt down if I was blowing air out of the tank.

Archived