Pod Your Reef

Xenia is being eaten?

dsandor

Hi, I have a small 5 gallon nano at work with a small mushroom, 6+ lbs LR, a skunk cleaner shrimp, 3 blue leg hermits, 3 red leg hermits, 2 very small percula clowns (of which are going to be removed from the tank for a bigger space).

I bought a small cluster of Xenia which was attached to a half oyster shell. The thing is that something appears to be EATING the Xenia. I'd come back in to work the next day and the stalks would be nubs or completely gone. I am now left with a tiny baby nub that i would like to try and salvage.

Thanks,

DS

could be the percs or the red-legs. i've seen both chow down on xenia. then again, it could also be the blues too.

do the clowns look stuffed? does their feces look different than usual?

tinyreef

I have actually never witnessed a clown have a 'movement'. My tank is on my desk at work and yet I have never seen it. I must say though that the clowns are some VERY hungry little buggers. They never seem to fill up. I keep my temperature around 76f because I read that warmer water causes their metabolism to increase but still they are ravenous when I feed them. Which I feed them every day twice a day and they consume 1/2 of a frozen block of brine shrimp (about 30~40 brine) per feeding.

A co-worker (hey Andy) of mine has a 12g on his desk with lots of blues and reds in there and 1 clown, yet his Xenia is thriving.

I saw some suspicious looking worms on the Oyster shell that look like small (1/4") bristle type worms that retract when I move. I was wondering if thoes types of hitchikers could also be a culprit.

Thanks!

DS

LOL ---- I can just see some guy follow a clown around with a pooper scooper. I gotta check it's poo......how funny!!

Tinyreef are you doing this to your poor clownfish??

LOL thats great. Well the good news is that I took out the clowns and put them in the (well deserved) large tank at home and my Xenia stumps are showing 4 new growths. That stuff is like a weed!

fingers crossed,

David

Archived