Pod Your Reef

HERMIT CRABS from local Beach

xalex1

Should i try to get some hermit crabs from the local beach in florida and drop`em in my Nano ??

That woul be cool .. Some wild cought hermit crabs !! :)

Suggestions ???

Thanks !

you can try..good luck!

i have tried a couple Hermits from the tide pool in SoCal..and they worked out fine, eating well and doesn't bother no one...on the other hand...my blue leg had killed one of the local beack hermit..which surprised the $@% out of me..hahahha

Joxer the Mighty

Did your So. Cal. hermits do ok in your tank's warm water? I've always thought it would be fun to have a shallow tank stocked with So. Cal. tide pool organisms, but I think the water would have to be kept cool all the time.

your water is tropical so the hermits would definately be ok. i would try it. i like the idea of getting them yourself.

yes..all of them except one (who got killed bu a blue leg hermit and over took its shell)..they are a great algae cleaner!! better than most of my snails and hermits..but my Turbo Snails are stillt he best! hahahha

Joxer the Mighty

Hmmmm....I don't like hermits, but I really need something to stir up my sand bed. I may have to take a trip out to the Laguna Beach tide pools. :)

Cool guys Thanks !! Ill be getting some of those this weekend for sure . and hey How about getting some sand for my tank, I already have live sand in my tank but i could use a little more ??

> How about getting some sand for my tank,

If you go diving, sure. If you're talking about getting some from near the shore, I'd avoid it due to probable pollutants. :(

> I really need something to stir up my sand bed

Have you tried Nassarius snails?

BustytheSnowMaam

Here is a pic of my Florida beach crab- the whole reason I got into nano-ing in the first place. A friend went to Florida on business and came back with "shells"- and inside was this not-so-little guy. I've had him for 3 years now. I accepted him because I thought he was a land crab, then recognized him as a beach crab. Anyhow, this "free" crab has probably cost me about $600 now- but it got me into a cool hobby. He gets along fine with my blue-leg and zebra hermits, but I think he had something to do with the death of my blood shrimp, taking advantage of the blood-shrimp's vulnerability after molting. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, though, since he's my favorite out of all of them.

Tasha

I would not take home any animals from the local beaches. if you cant positively identify the animal, it may be carnivourous, eating snails, corals, fish ect. or grow to big for our tanks to handle.

snafuforyou

be aware that most states/beaches protect marine life if you get caught taking marine life by fish and game you may be fined $500 minimum. the ones that don't fine you may require fishing liscense even though you have no pole in the water. you may want to check with local fish and game department before taking the chance. $500 for a hermit crab on the expensive side.

Snaf

if you can find some Abolonies..that would be cool..but just remember..only 5 per person is allowed per day!!! well..that is the CA rule..hahah..i got some and OMG! they are awsome..they eat all the algae off my glass in one night!! they have some at the Laguna Tide pools that are about 1"-3" in size..and of course ..i have fresh/salt water fishing licenses..

Joxer the Mighty

gobies: thanks for the tip on Nassarius snails. I did a bit of reading on them, and they seem like a great choice.

Anthony812: don't abalones need to be a certain size before you can take them? How big are the ones you got for your tank? I'm surprised that they survive in warm water. Then again, I'm sure in the summer some of those tide pools get pretty warm. Abalones sound like a neat addition!

its really hot at the tide pool in SoCal...btw..i just got 4 *****IN! "sorry" Marshal Island Electric Blue Hermits...they are sooooo cool looking...its amazing..i will try to take a shot while its still in the bag..haha..i have it here under my desk at work...but they are so damn expensive...$8 ea!!!!

Joxer the Mighty

Wow, those are cool looking! I've never seen them at either of my LFS. Thx for sharing.

The Laguna Beach tide pools are great, I was just there a few weeks ago when those tropical crabs were washing up on the beach. Are there any other tide pools you'd recommend?

only Laguna and Dana points that i wold go to..they have better waters there..they have baby snail up in the billions there..

as for the Hermits..i HAVE NEVER SEEN them b4 neither..i went to Black Coral during lunch and saw this..i was like..i gotta get them..i think they still have a couple more there available. I also bought 5 red serpen stars, 2 cleaner wrasses, 2 lbs of their LS from a special tank that i requested..it has soooo much bristle warms and other stuffs in there its unbelievable!

Joxer the Mighty

Where is Black Coral at??? I have been looking for a good source of live sand in my area (Pasadena) but have come up empty handed. I really need some sand with lots of life in it, bristle worms would be ideal. How much did you pay for the sand?

Do you know if the hermits are reef safe?

Originally posted by Joxer the Mighty

Where is Black Coral at??? I have been looking for a good source of live sand in my area (Pasadena) but have come up empty handed. I really need some sand with lots of life in it, bristle worms would be ideal. How much did you pay for the sand?

Do you know if the hermits are reef safe?

Black Coral is in Santa Ana, Orange County. and yes. the Hermits are 100% reef safe as they came from Marshall Islands...

Archived