Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

mightymorphinpowermacro

kgoldy

Alright, topic title is a little dramatic... But anyway- was wondering what this stuff is. It's been growing from one of the mermaid's brushes I got from you a few weeks ago.

Darker than the red gracillaria you sent me, almost purple... and much more of a fine, branched, bushy build. Soft, not calcareous. Haven't messed with it to see if it has roots (hold-fasts) or where it's really growing from.

Last week-

012.jpg

Today-

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

Looks real nice and display worthy. I'm going to try to spread it around throughout my tanks.

P.S. Is there a recommended maintenance on mermaids brushes and money plant- as in pruning? Mermaids brushes grow and grow, then fade to white and or crack... So they kind of keep themselves in check. But the money plant keeps getting overwhelmed by coraline algae and just turns into purple statues.

It is hard when coralline is killing off your halimeda, as an epiphyte it can do that. Hard problem to deal with to be honest.

That is a gracilaria sp, I can look it up for you, pm or email later to remind me and I will check it out in the book, I am just a little swamped right now and can't run over to it. Leaks....arrgh... barracuda pump sprang a leak in the seal and I have floor cleaning I have to jump on this morning. today. They can't all be winners. :)

Ahh... Now that you mention it... It kind of looks like the gracilaria that Reef Nutrition sells as their Macro Feast... Minus the post-going-sexual dead part.

I think if I can get this to spread, it'd be a lot nicer to use as my main nutrient sponge instead of the chaeto.

Archived