Coral Vue Hydros

15 Gallon loaded as 10 Gallon OK?

KevinC

Hi all,

I've been reading this board for several months and am getting close to setting up my tank.

I'm currently finishing up my tank stand and custom light hood.

My questions since I'm new to this, and haven't found a clear answer is the following:

I'm thinking of going with a 15 gallon instead of a 10 gal like I was orginally going to. But I was going to stock it as a 10 still and use the extra 5 gallons as a bio-buffer?

I would still stock it it with LR (10-12lbs) and LS(10-15 lbs) a little over the 10 limit. Would this help improve the tanks stability and bio load, etc.

Would there be any benifits, or draw backs that you guys can see.

Thanks,

Kevin

well, i would have to say the more LR you have, the more filtration and bacteria you will have to stabalize your ammonia and nitrite levels to a hush, and the nitrate will already be present due to live rock being in your tank. Thats the purpose of live rock, to just start your tank, as well as looks and other visually preffered creatures that come along with it (not to mention annoying hitchhikers as well). The more the better, but you would want to leave a good amount of room for the actual inhabitants as well. Too much rock and it might not look as enhanced and alive as you wanted it too.

and by the way, what kind of DIY hood dir you make (total watt and lumens?)

I would say that from a stocking point of view, less bio-load and more water is always better in terms of stability and waste removal, etc. This sounds like a good plan, but I would also consider stocking up on LR as if it were a 15 gallon. You don't have to, but it will only help. If you don't want to spend the money or clutter your tank, you should be fine the way you are, though. You can always add more later, so take your time and experiment.

I am, however, relatively new to the game so take anything I say with a large grain of sea-salt.

i was thinking of starting either a 10 or 15 too, but i was just wondering would the equipment that u would use on a 10 still be ok for a 15. like say two powerheads, the coarlife 96 wat quadlight etc. thanks

the lighting would be perfect for that size tank. Some people say there is no need for power heads if you have a HOB filter...that the circulation would be just enough for such a small tank. It would be up to you though, and plus it depends on what you put in it, some things require more water movement than others.

so the two ph's are fine also would a 100 watt heater b good, i live in a basement so it can get cold sumtimes. also should i go with a long or a high. sry to bump in on this thread, but tia.o and for corals i was just thinking of keeping like sum mushrooms, xenia, polyps, ricordia, zoos, and mayb some type of leather. would this all b alright, also do these corals need to be actually fed or is the light thre food.

wilson,

Each coral has its own eating/nutrition requirements along with the proper amounts of lighting (both in regard to specifications and where to place in the tank) and preference to water flow (still, turbulent, fast, slow, varied). You want to research each coral to make sure it fits the requirements of your tank and to make you know how to take care of it. Also, make sure you stock your tank slowly or you will watch the entire crash before your very eyes. I have seen it happen on a number of occasions. Some of the corals (zenia, mushroom, leather, etc) you have listed are fairly easy as corals go, but they still require research. And there may specific species which are much harder than others. Ask about specific species here if you arent sure.

If you want to know more about taking care of marine life, I would recommend Concientous Marine Aquarist (or something like that) by Fenner. It is a great book for people just getting into the hobby, and as a wealth of information on all aspects of planning and maintaining an aquarium.

Have fun and good luck!

The hood will be 4x20w Coralife 50/50 screw-in. (80W total)

I will leave room for a 70w MH later if I need it and a fan.

Maybe I will look for a deal on a long CF tube set-up, like 2x 55w 50/50 from one of the online stores, if I can find a deal.

I'll go with more LR then and maybe some extra LS too.

Maybe I'll try the 15 gal and equipment it as so.

75w heater, HOB + powerhead, 80+ w light etc.

I'm still planning on stocking the corals, etc. as a ten.

At least I will save some money there.

Thanks,

Kevin

yeah, lighting and corals are pretty damn expensive. They go hand and hand, and also empty your wallet. Almost everyone who just wants a FOWLR tank, moves on to corals and upgrades lighting anyway. So you are doing the right thing by thinking ahead atleast.

Archived