Cultivated Reef

Advice needed on 'planting' algae

ColorMeBlue

I got an unexpected windfall from Reefcleaners.org yesterday. In addition to the flame algae I ordered, I also got a selection of other algae.

I checked with John and while it was indeed sent in error, I get to keep them anyways, yay.

However, I'm having trouble 'planting' the calcerous algae. I tried putting it in the sand, but the water flow knocks them over. :P

How do I anchor them?

https://picasaweb.google.com/11730916052590...394935814200706

Specifically, I've got a halimeda and a pencil cap and I'd like them to thrive.

And one more question.

I got a rubbery algae that I don't know what it is, or how to care for. It broke into two pieces, but I managed to anchor one piece with a shell, the other sort of went into an undercleft in the rock and I didn't have time last night to fish it out, hope to do that tonight.

What is it, how do I keep it happy? I've a picture of the anchored piece, it's in the left side of this picture:

https://picasaweb.google.com/11730916052590...405629901414018

The 'rubbery' one is codium (appears to be the long finger variety based on the color). You can super glue it to a rock and place it in a moderate light, moderate flow area. You could also try wedging it into the rockwork and wait for it to generate its own holdfast. Sadly, I've yet to have any really good luck with long finger codium from John. My short codium grows like wildfire however.

If the Halimeda has a root bulb attached to the base, simply plant it in the substrate and support it with a couple of pieces of rock rubble to keep it from falling over. It will root fast and then won't require any support. If it has no root bulb, the best bet is to wedge it into a slot in your rockwork and let it create its own holdfast over time. High light and high flow will make this look its best. Don't forget the calcium supplements.

Pencil caps should always come with a root bulb, so plant them in the substrate the same way. High light and low to moderate flow seem to be best for these. I started with 1 and now have 20+ plants after 4 months, so they are very prolific. I get new sprouts every week, so it's time to trade them at the LFS.

The 'rubbery' one is codium (appears to be the long finger variety based on the color). You can super glue it to a rock and place it in a moderate light, moderate flow area. You could also try wedging it into the rockwork and wait for it to generate its own holdfast. Sadly, I've yet to have any really good luck with long finger codium from John. My short codium grows like wildfire however.

If the Halimeda has a root bulb attached to the base, simply plant it in the substrate and support it with a couple of pieces of rock rubble to keep it from falling over. It will root fast and then won't require any support. If it has no root bulb, the best bet is to wedge it into a slot in your rockwork and let it create its own holdfast over time. High light and high flow will make this look its best. Don't forget the calcium supplements.

Pencil caps should always come with a root bulb, so plant them in the substrate the same way. High light and low to moderate flow seem to be best for these. I started with 1 and now have 20+ plants after 4 months, so they are very prolific. I get new sprouts every week, so it's time to trade them at the LFS.

Thank you! I guess I've some work to do when I get home tonight. Hm. I've gotten several shells for the hermits that are too big for them at the moment. would supergluing the holdfasts into the shell hole and burying that in the sand be okay for the holdfast plants, do you think? The pencil cap as it is keeps falling over, which is a worry to me. I rather like it and had been planning to eventually order one so it's a nifty surprise I'd like to encourage to grow. :)

Thank you! I guess I've some work to do when I get home tonight. Hm. I've gotten several shells for the hermits that are too big for them at the moment. would supergluing the holdfasts into the shell hole and burying that in the sand be okay for the holdfast plants, do you think? The pencil cap as it is keeps falling over, which is a worry to me. I rather like it and had been planning to eventually order one so it's a nifty surprise I'd like to encourage to grow. :)

Shells are an ok way to mount them. Never know, a hermit may decide to make it a new home at some point! Simply prop the pencil cap up with some rubble. It will do fine, and doesn't require much if any maintenance. Once the root bulb takes hold, it will start sending runners out to spawn new plants.

• 3 weeks later...
To mount my macro algae I use sewing thread and a small piece of rubble.

Oh! That's a great idea! Unfortunately, I've no rubble, but I was thinking of shoving a bunch of sand into a snail shell as a weight. Might work if I glue the sand in with crazy glue.....

I had no luck 'planting' the codium. So I just let it float around the tank and snag where it would. It seems to have found a spot it likes as it set down 'roots' so to speak and is sprouting new growth , so I assume it's happy where it is.

The brush is still not staying still but last i looked it's not dead yet so I may try the thread method.

Archived