Innovative Marine Aquariums

How to use freeze dried coral food

steviejitsu

Best way to feed coral food?

I have the freeze dried powder coral food. I'm using a spoon and putting some in the tank. However, the particles are small and end up mostly staying on the top surface. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Steve

Best way to feed coral food?

I have the freeze dried powder coral food. I'm using a spoon and putting some in the tank. However, the particles are small and end up mostly staying on the top surface. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Steve

mix it prior to putting in.. make like a slushi and get a eye dropper to squirt it on the corals

what they said, it has to be re-hydrated to become neutrally bouyant again. Feed sparingly, freeze dried food is 1/10 the weight of frozen foods, (if not less), so take that into account.

Do you still have to target feed your NPS corals if you use freeze dried?

And John there's so much in this container, I don't think I will ever get done using it. Is there an expiration date?

Deleted User 6

I still target feed. I don't guess you have to if you're using enough, but target feeding is more efficient.

There's a chemical in the mix called astaxanthin that will oxidize and become useless. Apparently this chemical is a pretty valuable part of the mix. Per John:

The astaxanthin will probably begin to oxidize though at some point from the seal wearing out, or someone leaving it open etc...depends on use. The food wont be bad, but would lose some value at that point.

But I've been using the same jar for over a year now (keep it in the freezer), and everything still eats it.

Do you still have to target feed your NPS corals if you use freeze dried?

And John there's so much in this container, I don't think I will ever get done using it. Is there an expiration date?

The food if it stays dry will last more than a year, a year is what we consider the expiration. The astaxanthin will discolor and lose its value faster if you leave the bottle open, if moisture gets in the expiration date will come much faster.

Freezing it like Dhaut did will take care of stray moisture from your hands that might get in, but you should try to touch the food only with dry hands.

Johny.. Id like a heads up as well I'm at about 50% power left in my battery.. i mean.. ugh i do too much tech crap - i'm at about 50% food left in my jug..

I don't honestly think johny measures this stuff out either.. he just tops it off and ships it out.. LOL i know its supposed to be measured - but being that its not 'fda' there is no specific measurements.

This is what it looks like when my fish see me pick up Reef Cleaner's Filter Feeder Formula- Everyone clusters by the waterfall where I always drop it.

045.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

All pics taken holding the jar next to the tank just out of view of the camera... No food in the tank yet. Haha. Fishes love that ####!

Cool thanks for all the info guys. I feed and all my corals open up. But the particles are so small, i'm not quite sure if they are actually taking in any of them? Even if they don't close, they are eating the food right?

The fish do like it, I feed my fish the same stuff when I have it. We tinkered with a small fish formula, which would be the same ingredients, but then ground and sorted for size...but the size thing didn't work so well. :) We are going to keep at it.

• 1 month later...

Archived