inTank Media Baskets

Algae removal from SPS

GobyMan

I got some hitchhiker macro on a frag I received a couple weeks ago and I have been pulling it off at regular intervals. Does anyone have a hint/trick to get at the algae the is farther in the coral branches....check out this picture and let me know how I can clean this piece off.....

Thanks...

you have a stressed coral there....Dunno why

As Nanoreefer says it should inhibit algae growth naturally.

I have had a few traded frags do the same thing i tried scraping, scrubbing and praying. The only thing that worked was to break the affected part off discard it and let the coral regrow. Sometimes I broke off too little and the algae regrew. othertimes it worked great.

Good luck,

Toy

Toy,

Thanks for the info. How can you tell the coral is stressed? I thought that since it was extending its polyps it was ok...the algae isn't covering any of the branches, just hanging off it..

a non stressed Montipora such as you have will fight off the algae as part of its defenses, there will be no algae present in a healthy Montipora. as for it not covering the branches they are probably less important than the growth point which from your pic I believe to be covered with hair algae. dont worry too much, I have never had one Die from algae but they spend all thier energy it seems fighting the algae and they dont grow. although a few of them I did throw out after I got disgusted fighting it so I guess they died:(

HTH,

Toy

Archived