Pod Your Reef

Little white snails on dwarf cerith's shell

ry05coupe

Have you ever seen anything similar to this? I have a bunch of dwarf ceriths that seems to have a little white snail hanging on to their shells. The shells look exactly like the cerith shell, but it is 100% white. At first I was thinking pyramid snails, but now I'm not sure. I will try to grab a photo but they are super small, so no promises.

edit: The best my camera could do unfortunately:

PA130004.jpg

PA130003.jpg

PA130008.jpg

I noticed them on a few of the different ceriths. Again, they are 100% white and their shells look exactly the same as the ceritys, but white obviously.

Looks like a small slipper shell. They are pretty common around here. I haven't seen them on dwarf ceriths often, it is usually FL ceriths and Nerites....well it is usually conchs and giant marine hermits living in conch shells... Pop one off the shell and see if I am right, you can tell by their shape.

I googled them quickly, are all slipper shells flat? Because this looks just like the cerith in shape. They come off easilly though. I am going to pick up a magnifying glass today to get a bettter look at it (and maybe some better pics).

If it is easy removable, I would google Pyramide snails.

TBH it is probably them, I am just being optimistic and hoping there is something else it could be lol. I guess it's a good thing that I added a Yellow Wrasse within the last week.

I have had them on astrea snails before. Pick them off! They'll kill your snails, slowly.

I'll start tonight. The thing is, I got my ceriths from John, so ofcourse I have about two billion lmao. This will be fun!

It may be, but they dont come from the same range, do you have anything in your tank from the Indo Pacific? ZI checked my dwarf cerith tank this morning and there are no slipper shells or any small white snails. It had to come from the same batch, we haven't had to collect more in some time. Let me know if you have any Indo Pacific critters, and if you can get a clearer shot that would help. I can't make it out from the picture.

But for those who are worried and emailed me, no we don't have Pyramid snails in the dwarf ceriths, they are fine.

All of my snails have come from you. I have Nerites, Nassarius, a few florita ceriths and the dwarfs. They must have come from a coral I bought or something, or maybe from a friends tank. I havent had anything from you in 8 months so I know that wasn't it.

I was just hoping it was something commonly found on these guys & not pyramid snails. Oh well!

Archived