Coral Vue Hydros

(Pink) Montipora digitata........

SaltyDawg

I recently acquired a nice frag of hot pink montipora digitata.

My question is this, how do I get it to retain its brilliant pink coloration? It seems to be fading into , or rather darkening up to be orange. I have 1 , 14k Metal halide Bulb, and 4 24" no bulbs. 2 @ 10k and 2 @ 12k. My salenity is a steady 1.025. All Specs are within norm as is my calcium(above 400). I dose Iodine, B-ionic 1 & 2. Reef complete And Micro vert. I house a freckeled hawk fish and a domino damsel in my 29g aga reef.

Thanks in advance!! ;)

OxInYourBox

Been a while since I've seen you post Salty. Where ya been?

I'm guessing the frag came from under radiums. I picked up a sweet neon pink digitata frag and ultra purple poccilipora frag from a guy who had them under Radiums. The purple has darkened slightly (still quite purple) and the pink digititata has turned orange with a pink tip under my 250W 20K XM. Radiums tend to bring out pastel colors more than any other bulb. No real way to get that back out without running radiums either I believe.

I dont know how you can keep its pink coloration, but pink digitata looks nice. I know someone with a frag of it in a 125gal under mh lighting, and it is very nice.

Gil

Thanks , Ox, Mattie , Gillman.

I believe they did come from a radium lit tank though Ox.

I was thinking of purchasing one my self but wanted to wait a little more before I did in order to see the long term ability of the light. When I first found out about them they were still quite new on the market. That is a mogul base bulb and not a double ended bulb right? If not then i'll have to upgrade yet again. BTW. I changed careers and have had absolutly no time for anything . Been working 7 days a week @11 - 10 hour days minimum.

In fact I am posting from work right now :(. I have some awsome corals now in my 29 aga. I have some REALY pink zoo's. Some REALY green , green slimer acropora that is growing like mad! I have 3 frags of it! I have 5 orange digitatas as well that are literally growing so fast I have to frag them about once a month.

Mostly due to my own taste though . I like them looking neat and tighty. You know tree like and not all over the place.

get this! I got a free blastomussa brain coral from my LFS for waiting a month for some b-ionic! The coral is absolutly awsome!

Pinkish orange with flourecent green highlights! I will post pics as soon as I can. I have some super nice close ups I have been dying to share with you all.

I really think you will enjoy them.

Well Thats all from me until tomorow night!

Thanks for the warm welcome back OX. Good to see you too. ;)

OxInYourBox

Sweet. Can't wait for the pics!!

If you get a chance check out my 29G. Work in progress but going well. Trading is on hold now b/c at the last swap I picked up some lovely red bugs on a frag and didn't dip before hand. GRRRRR. Time to do the cure for that.

You're running HQI? What wattage and ballast? Radiums run on pulse start and HQI ballasts (HQI overruns and shortens the life but it's sweet for those months).

Here's some reading for you (comparison of 250W SE bulbs and ballast info electric130 knows his stuff-I pick his brain everytime I see him):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=254667

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=201570

I'm thinking of swapping out my 20K XM for a 10K XM b/c of the much much higher PAR value. Too bad I'll have to ghetto rig some actinic. Enough babbling about lighting for me tonight lol.

Take it easy and that rocks about the free blastomussa brain!!

EtOH_is_good

everybody should read those links if they are buying lights. my head is going to explode from the amount of info.

theclearblue

I heard a rumor a while ago that radium was developing DE bulbs in 150 and 250 wattages.

Anybody know if these are out yet, or if this was just a rumor?

Ox,

Nope. I am Running Hamilton mogul based halides not hqi.

I wasnt sure Which bulb type the radiums were it has been a long while. Thanks for the info though I will do some reading tonight when I get off work. If they do inhance the coloraion and growth that much I will at least try them and keep my old set up for a back up.

DitchPlains

Heres a funny aside, I purchased a solid orange Montiporra from my LFS, and now after adding an additional 32 watt CSl to my exsisiting 24 watt pc in my Nano Cube the Monti is turning purple on one side of the tip.... I will update soon with pics as soon as I can.. Mind you this guys is smll maybe 2 inches long, so he's a baby. OK take care guys!! :angel:

OxInYourBox

Nice shot Gil.

I'm debating on getting a G2 so that I can add a macro lens and quit borrowing the S30 from work but that's another conversation.

What wattage and spectrum are sharkdude's lights? Mine started out pinker than that

Salty-Misread your post. If your ballast is pulse start then you could just swap the bulb out for a radium. If it's probe start then it's hit and miss with going with a radium along with less reliability of the setup.

Gilman,

Yes Thats is what mine was exactly when I first got it. Now It is more of a tanish orange tint wih pink and white tips.

But on the other hand my orange digitata just got even more orange. Actually it got almost red, because it turned is such a deep orange. My pink capricornous I have only had about a week and is starting to turn realy realy pink.

every thing else has held its coloration. Gonna pick up some deep purple frags of digitata this weekend from the lfs. looks chocolate like with purple tips. Very prety. It is the species that grows like a plate with spikes an only grows in a fan like formatio almost straight up. Like a china plate on display.

Gerard the fish

Your new monti will simply have to stablize under its new environment, and will more than likely get some of its color back. Going from a radium to your tank is a huge change...

- g

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a pink digitata under a radium lamp. Been in the tank for 5 months and hasn't changed color. I been running the same hqi bulb for about 10 months and see no change in the light quality.

Archived