inTank Media Baskets

Water Changes

NewSchool

Water changes are killing me!!!! Getting the water out is no problem, I have one of those siphon things that works but isn't great at cleaning up the bottom. My major problem is getting water back in without blowing out my sand base and re-arranging my coral. If you have ideas, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Get a powerhead and some tubing. Put the powerhead into your mix bucket, and use that to put it in. Then you can direct it towards the side, or across the top so it doesn't get to your sand.

Chyendra, I have a separated filter compartment in the back but it wouldn't work well for adding water. The power head idea is great from trmiv, I think I'll go that way. Thanks for the feedback guy's!

Your question doesn't really make since. I mix my makeup water in a 5 gal bucket and take a cup and pour the water in slowly. If you do it slowly it will not mess your tank it up. You must be trying to add the water too fast. Take your time.

I use air line hosing and simply place my replacement water above my tank somehow and let is siphon into the nano. Takes about 5 min for 1 gal to completely drain into the tank. The great thing about doing it this was is you can let it sit and fill up while you watch your fish swim.

I was using the 5 gallon containers to store my water in for water changes, but found them too heavy and cumbersome to use for my 2 nanocubes, so instead now I take down 4 1 gallon containers with me to the LFS to have filled.

The smaller 1 gallon containers allow me to pour the water into the tank slower (since they are not heavy or cumbersome and rarely dribble down the side of the container), they are also quicker to heatup in my bathtub to the same temp that the tank is at.

I still use my large 5 gallon containers for the 20 gallon tank since that takes almost a full one to do a water change on.

Blinkgyrl2987

I mix my water in a 1 gallon bucket and pour it in slowly.... without any problems..... I have the nano cube... but you could also just pour in into the back compartment that way you wouldn't have to worry... JMO.... HTH MEgan~`

Archived