Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

testing please help

NEW-REEFERR

NEW-REEFERR
Originally posted by Quash

??? so what dont you understand?  the number of drops?  the chart colors?  what the range should be?  help us out bro

the numbers do you multiply

umm, for calcium tests yeah, depending on the Mg test you have. But I dont have salifert. Somebody out there prolly does use Salifert, but you prolly say the number of drops multiplied by some constant they give you

AZDesertRat

The kits come with a sheet of paper with all the readings on it. If you fill the syringes to exactly the levels they tell you whatever is left in the syringe once the color change has taken place is the number you look for on the paper. They have done all the calculations for you. It is kinda confusing. Once you get the hang of it its a snap.

OK. Maybe I am confused. The kits I have use a color coded chart. You mix the component (usually water with a few drops of the appropriate reagent) and then stir a bit then set for a few minutes. Once done, you compare to the color on the chart by either setting on top of the chart and looking down or holding the chart next to the beaker and comparing. Is there a test kit that requires computation?

AZDesertRat

Salifert kits don't have any color charts. They use drop count titration instead. You fill a syringe with a specific quantity of reagent, add the reagent to your sample until you see a very dramatic color change and then you measure the quantity of reagent left in the syringe. Then looking at that figure that is left in the syringeon the the chart, that tells you what your calcium or whatever levels are. The directions are a little hazy but the accuracy is excellent.

Joe_the_Hun

I have the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and pH Salifert test kits. As far as I know, you add such and such volume of water, plus whatever reagent and then check the color. The only one of these that requires some basic calculation is testing for nitrates. You have the option of going low and medium range. This test is still based on color (viewed through side and above respectively), but for the low range (side view), you need to divide by ten to obtain the proper count per million.

Archived