Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Which of these skimmers performs best?

phattypeeps

I am planning on adding a skimmer to my tank and have been researching nano skimmers. I have narrowed my search down to two choices and was looking for some input from people who may have either of these two skimmers to see what your experiences have been:

AquaEuroUSA Nano Protein Skimmer 2

or

AqauticLife Internal Protein Skimmer 115

My criteria for picking a skimmer are size, aesthetics and most importantly noise. I have an AIO tank so I would like the skimmer I choose to be small and unobtrusive as it will be in or on the main display, and most importantly I want it to be as quiet as possible. Thanks for your input!

I am running a couple of the aqualife 115 skimmers. I have had one in my biocube 29, in chamber 1 for 7 months and it has performed very well. I consistently get brown tea skimmate. I can hear it when it is running but it is not obnoxious. When I empty the cup it will be louder for a day, it will make a chug, chug sound. It pulls food out of the water too. I feed Rods food, and I'll find brine shrimp and other pieces in there that got picked up by the filter.

I just bought a second that I am going to use in my frag tank. When I got the second I did the airhose, and fishline mods, and swapped it out on my biocube. I haven't had any increase in noise, or skimmate. But it has only been a week. I never had microbubble issues in the past. (I think my upgraded return pump would pull them into chamber 2) But after the mods I was getting microbubbles in the display and had to put a piece of floss over the outlet to prevent them going into the display, so it appears the mods did increase bubble formation, and flow.

I would recommend it, I think it works well.

• 4 weeks later...

You did not ask, but a great skimmer with a lot of recommendations is the Tunze 9002 skimmer. This is an internal skimmer for the sump. If looking for an HOB, you can look at the Aqua C Remora. I would research these guys because they are very much used by reefers.

Archived