Top Shelf Aquatics

KissMyDSM's Mixed 40B

KissMyDSM

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aquemeni5110
Sweet. One of the best stages of being in the hobby.....the build!

I agree. It can be very satisfying. Man, great build, scape, lighting and selection of corals! Awesome colors.. I've always liked the 40 breeder followed by the 20L. That dollar per gallon sale at Petco is just too good to pass up. But I ended up getting a 55g tank cause I already have a stand and canopy. Still in the process of building it too. Planning to get the same overflow box/return as well. Might even do a closed loop. That's 5 holes to drill. Never drilled glass before so I hope it goes well - my first time doing plumbing on a tank as well.

SUBSCRIBED! :D

Beautiful, I love the island scape.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I still have a lot to learn in the SW world. How did you get the substrate that color? Is it covered with coraline?

I agree. It can be very satisfying. Man, great build, scape, lighting and selection of corals! Awesome colors.. I've always liked the 40 breeder followed by the 20L. That dollar per gallon sale at Petco is just too good to pass up. But I ended up getting a 55g tank cause I already have a stand and canopy. Still in the process of building it too. Planning to get the same overflow box/return as well. Might even do a closed loop. That's 5 holes to drill. Never drilled glass before so I hope it goes well - my first time doing plumbing on a tank as well.

SUBSCRIBED! :D

Thanks. Yeah the farther I trip on down this road the more I want.....more water volume, bigger fish (Selection), and better equipment to maintain a closer to natural environment for everything.

Nice touch! gonna follow this one.. awesome job on the LED Build and sump and tank!

Thanks David. I love my scape but I think yours is genius. When your coral grows out it will be so awesome.

I think I might even have a frag of your zoanthids from Jacobnano.

Beautiful, I love the island scape.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I still have a lot to learn in the SW world. How did you get the substrate that color? Is it covered with coraline?

Actually now that the pistol shrimp has been doing its thing the substrate is mostly white again. But if you do not have anything stirring the substrate up eventually it will color up just like your rock. The only dumb question is the one not asked so ask away!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I have been doing a lot of thinking and finally came up with a better, more adjustable version of the "light tree" for those of us that use PAR bulbs. I have already pre assembled version 2.0 and now I just need to get everything powder coated again. I will take some before and after pics to show you the differences and advantages of the new setup.

On the other hand....when I was pushing the stand/tank back into its spot one of the sides caught and broke apart at a seam. Needless to say I am going to have Halcyonism help me build a new stand with more room for the ATO reservoir that I do not have currently but plan on adding soon as well as more room and seperation of the wiring.

Stay tuned for pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I got the new light tree built and installed. I added one more par38 bulb to help fill gaps and I also made it easier to disconnect with a couple splice points which I will wire up modular plugs later on. For now the wires are spliced together with wire nuts.

IMG_1765.jpg

In this shot the rear pipe is mounted to the tank stand with pipe clamps and unistrut. At first I used EMT with compression connectors but the "T" proved to be to heavy and it slouched forward. It would have worked but I wanted more stability. I replaced the EMT with RIGID pipe and got better results.

IMG_1770.jpg

I am not sure how I feel about the center bulb being lower than the others as I was anticipating using my boost led bulb but there is to much of a spot light effect with all blue in the center and they are shorter than the rapids.

IMG_1773.jpg

Overall I am happy that there is less gap in the high light areas. The fact that I can just twist the pipe joints all sorts of ways to really focus the light where I want it is great too. The EMT was powder coated but the RIGID pipe was just rattle canned with Rustoleum in haste so I could get it done this weekend.

~Rob

I replied the other day but I guess it didn't go through on my phone.

Custom is the way to go and man have you gone custom. It looks sweet Rob and I can't wait to see it in person next month. It gives you so many options and with the light so far off the tank your heat shouldn't be much of an issue either. Not to mention your coral placement is no where near as limited as mine having the lights but 2" off the water.

Oh I am going to try and start my update in order on my page. Been busy with the little one. Make sure to thank Blaine for the baby clothes and that she can hold him in 30days.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Everything is doing ok. Some stuff is really taking off while others are just living. Added more sand to the sand bed. (Scoop by scoop over a period of a couple weeks). Started Vinegar dosing....so far so good.

Figured out through shear dumb luck that you CANNOT tumble Phosguard too quickly otherwise it will splinter apart and pollute the tank for days. Thanks to my wraase jumping into the overflow and forcing me to fish her out of the sump (Hah) I disconnected the reactor with the phosguard from the display and noticed after a short couple hours that the water in the display cleared up quite nicely. Needless to say, be careful when modifying how fast/hard you tumble your media.

I am currently in the process of building a new stand that has way better dimensions than the old buffet we retrofitted into a stand. The idea was cool but as I continue to learn and aquire more knowledge it is apparent that I need A LOT more space in the sump. So to start, I asked for assistance from Nano-Reef member Halcyonism to help me build a better more functional stand. We have already gotten the frame built and I have caulked most of it today. With his advice I decided to ditch my cadlights sump (When the time comes) and use a 40B from petco with custom baffles for a skimmer area, return area, fuge, and ATO res. The total water volume will get boosted and I am planning on a diverse Remote Deep Sand Bed for the fuge with orders for fauna that will help the denitrifying process.

I requested a sectioned off space under the stand that will serve as a place for all of my electronics and power equipment. It is 5 inches deep and as tall as the inside of the stand providing much needed room and isolation from the rest of the sump area. The back will be left open to help with gas exchange.

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

Lookin good dsm. I like the new light tree btw. And figured you could appreciate this. I just finished my car build right on time for the track to close lol. I'll have to see what it can do next year.

3607E3F2-1435-4340-A547-857C6617D9A1-325-0000001BE86A4E61.jpg

Really digging this light setup on this tank. After seeing your light setup i am seriously thinking that i want to make something similar. I also have a 40b and your setup looks perfect, exactly what im am looking for as far as simplicity and color in tank.

Is there any way to control/dim these types of Par38 bulbs? Do you have any type of sunrise/sunset setup? I was thinking have only 1 or 2 fixtures come on at a time.

These Rapid LED par bulbs are not dimmable and I just have a couple timers that has the center bulb come before the rest and then reverse operation in the evening. However I do believe that the newer PAR bulbs are dimmable.

jgpicodope009 - The 2G is lookin good. What is your et horsepower now

Jrmiller - thanks and yes I wish the talon was done right now but alas winter draws near again -_-

These Rapid LED par bulbs are not dimmable and I just have a couple timers that has the center bulb come before the rest and then reverse operation in the evening. However I do believe that the newer PAR bulbs are dimmable.

jgpicodope009 - The 2G is lookin good. What is your et horsepower now

Jrmiller - thanks and yes I wish the talon was done right now but alas winter draws near again -_-

Wing man down.... delay on arrival be in touch on that!

and here I was thinking my mods were big haha, always changing and customizing to make the experience better not just for you but your live stock. Who thought that "keeping water" would be such a complex process.

Archived