Pod Your Reef

water changes

penam

when i do my water changes what should i look for? i guess what i'm trying to ask is how should i perform the water change.... what do i do specifically????????? pls help...

When everything is going well, perform a 10 to 20% water change every week. I’m also of the minority opinion to practice this while establishing your tank’s cycle.

Water changes perform two major functions. The first is to remove excess anything (like dissolved organics and excess nitrates). The second is to replenish consumed elements and buffers.

Water change volume and frequency will depend on your biological filter, whether you have a refugium or skimmer, bio-load, special feeding requirements… However, a 15% water change every week is a good rule of thumb. I believe that it is better to error on changing more than less water.

After the cycle has been established, water changes are also used in emergencies to remove toxins (like ammonia or nitrites caused by a death). You can test for harmful substances and adjust you water change schedule to keep everything in balance.

ok, appreciate the response. i'm still wondering when i have livestock and im performing the water change is their anything that i should keep in mind?

silversurfer

there really isnt anything special to a water change. just remember to clean the glass and stir up whatever you want beforehand so you can siphon it out while everything is still suspended. otherwise it'll just settle on your rock and stuff causing alge to bloom.

Archived