SaltCritters.com

Who needs Actinic?

tackman

I was wondering if you really need Actinic or not?

I am looking at doing a 20L and I was going to do either a 70 DE MH or a 150 SE MH with a 10k bulb. Would I need Actinic?

Is Actinic just blue light for penetration of the water or are there things that require blue light?

matt the fiddler

many creatures, [more the deeper than 5 foot creatures] are designed to only asord the high end that the actinic HELPS cover. this will ensure that they get the proper light, that they are built to recieve. with only a 10K MH bulb, you will be able to keep a lot of stuff.. [10 K being the color temp of the sun] the actinic will just add the upper end- and help in the high end light asprption.. and in coral health, and also will help them to look prettier ;-)

rememebr it is not the amount of light [as 500 watts of NO will kill SPS] it is plenty of the RIGHT type of light..

Cellenzweig

What about looking into a higher temp. bulb - like a 14k or a 20k? I know a few people running 20k MHs without actinic.

Colin

Don't forget that in reef keeping our goal should be to get as close to nature as posible. If cost is'nt an issue than get them. Actinic is not just used for astetic reasons, it actually made to penetrate deeper water. Actinic should come on before the main light, i run a 7am actinic,9am mh 7pm mh off,9pm actinic off. That way the mh is not such a shock.

well those are just my oppinions. good luck!

Undertheradar

I dont run actinic any more. Dont need to. I just use bluer halides to make up for it. Even the little 70wattDE is a 15,000K (tunze).

I just use low watt actnic's just to warm things up so to speak.

Not so much for the benefit's it has on corals. The MH is what gives them their energy source. You are right Undertheradar and Tackman you dont need actinics but it does'nt hurt either, I sugest getting some low watt pc's and using them to start things up and for the look that they give corals. I always belived you should get as close to nature as you can on your system.

The sun doent just pop up, like a switch.

But its up to you what ever you think is best for you.

Archived