Pod Your Reef

Need a couple macro ids pls

drunkenmonk21

drunkenmonk21

Have a bunch of new growth showing up on the live rock that I got a couple weeks ago, here are the ones big enough for me to capture a pic of.

Please help me id them :D

Im guessing this one is a Fan

NewGrowth016.jpg

The red lightning looking algae in the middle omgomgomg

NewGrowth017.jpg

Not sure it looks like small brown leaves with light colored veins in the middle.

NewGrowth015.jpg

Red algae

NewGrowth018.jpg

Another red

NewGrowth019.jpg

yet another red

Macrored002.jpg

Thank you,

Josh

Hi Josh.

The first one is definately a juvenile mermaind fan.

The third looks like lower grade Ulva sprouts. Try strong flow across it and some iron supplement to green it up.

The fourth one looks like Halymenia Floridana, or possibly Gracilaria Hayi. Are the leaves somewhat stiff?

drunkenmonk21

hey grmoore thanks, on the fourth one it is a bit stiff, as in it doesnt wave in the current the whole leaf moves as one without bending

would there be a way to remove the fan from the rock without killing it? Same with the halimeda growing all over the rock, can pull it out without killing it, or frag the halimeda off to the sand?

Thanks!

added another pic of a red I forgot to add

hey grmoore thanks, on the fourth one it is a bit stiff, as in it doesnt wave in the current the whole leaf moves as one without bending

would there be a way to remove the fan from the rock without killing it? Same with the halimeda growing all over the rock, can pull it out without killing it, or frag the halimeda off to the sand?

Thanks!

added another pic of a red I forgot to add

If the fourth one is a bit stiff, then it's probably Gracilaria Hayi.

As for the fan, I remember reading its not a good idea to break them off as they don't reattach. I could be mis-remembering however. Personally I like to let things grow where they want. If they grow in a spot, they're likely happy there.

That last red looks like a Gracilaria species as well.

These all growing on that new rock you got?

drunkenmonk21

Hey Gr Guess ill have to move the rock with the fan on it, cause that sob is right in front of everything, when it gets bigger its going to block out the tank lol. Maybe ill frag that rock up and put it in the sand. There is about 4 fans growing up in that spot

Yes they are all growing on the new rock I bought, got it from gulfliverock.com theres got to be about 10 diff macros growing on it, some I need to let grow out a bit more to see what it is

Thanks for the replys B)

Quick edit to say, there is also lots of different sponges growing on it too, orange, yellow, white, couple tunicates, and some round blue sponges, very pretty rock

the blue macro looks like ochtodes

3rd macro is sargassum, coming out of a Peysonellia spp. coralline.

halymenia pseudofloresii is what pic 4 should turn into, if it was H. floresii I think the holdfast would be smaller, and it is branched to early to be H. floridana.

"Another red" looks like Something tricolcops lol.... I have this all properly spelled in a book I should grab it.... will edit later.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived