Cultivated Reef

Bleaching button polyps?

pyrrhus

not sure if it si what im seeing or not but i think my button polyps may be bleaching several polyps are showing a pearlescent white area on the oral disc. all other corals are doing great. anyone seen this before?

AZDesertRat

Have you changed your lighting recently or moved the polyps up closer to the light. I have had this happen after installing new bulbs or increasing lighting amounts or times.

That is possible...also are all your water parameters in check? Sounds likely to be a light issue though....also check around the perimeter of the coral to make sure no critters or nudibranchs or something is irritating it.

Cameron

AZDesertRat

The possibility of something stinging them is a good possibility. I have a large rock with some green button polyps on it that my Sebae Anemone took over and it keeps the area around itself pretty cleared out.

Hey Pyrrhus if you're not doing anything Thursday night drop by the Desert Marine Society meeting at 7.

Actually i did just add more light to my tank but i believe that the condition was present before adding more light i did just begin dosing lugols and magnesium i was very careful about dosing the lugols but i dont have a test kit for magnesium so im not sure if i OD with it. Also for what some reason i believe my acro is experiencing a SDR the tissue in areas is sloughing off i know that i do have a few Scutus sp. in my tank but the coral has been in for over a month and been fine the whole time could it be the supplements? BTW the only "unacceptable water param is no3@20ppm i think caused by my AC300 with media should i yank the media and run it without?

if condition with acro continues to progress at the current rate

(first noticed it on tuesday) will consume whole coral within 5-6 days.

AZDesertRat

I would remove the sponge and run a bag of fresh carbon for a few days on the off chance something has contaminated the system.

bad guess with the 5-6 days on the acro its toast tonight, not even a branch to frag left, oh well i guess its just a really expensive piece of live rock now

Archived