SaltCritters.com

Hair Algae Problem

J.C.

Hello everyone! This is my first post to this site, but I've been sifting through threads for a while and have had my 10 gal nano for about a year now. The initial set up was FOWLR, but now I've added a 96w power quad, frogspawn, and some shrooms. All are doing well, including the hair algae! I had this problem when i had my wimpy 14w light before, but i quickly switched to RO water and it went away, or so i thought! After putting the new light on, i've got the problem back, with a vengence!

I've started doing water changes more frequently (once a week, about 30-40%) and have checked all parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphates all 0, ph 8.2-8.4, temp 78-80, calcium 480+, sp gr 1.024-25 (refractometer on the way! damn hydrometers). I've put some new carbon in the HOB (aquaclear mini), no skimmer, no fuge (thinking about it), i've changed the photoperiod from 10-12 hours down to 8, feed about every other day, clownfish, blue hermits, no snails (cause the hermits think they're at a buffet), I was dosing str. & mel. and iodine, but since doing WC more often I've stopped, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the jist of it.

I'm stumped and am hoping someone can come up with a answer. I'm brushing it off the rocks when I do a WC and am afraid of killing the stuff on my rocks, so I'd like to figure out a solution. Also, I don't want to add any more corals til I get rid of this ulcer causing green nightmare! Let me know if you need any more info, and thanks for the help!

The best thing to do is clean and clean good.

All the detritus you can siphon out the better.

Before water changes I use a turky baster and powerhead to blow detritus out of rocks and off of the sand so it gets sucked into my HOB which I run a poly pad to catch everything. Then I take out the pad after the water has cleared and rinse it well then reuse it next time.

Detritus is one of the bigest contributers to feeding algae.

Of course you should feed lightly and remove any uneaten food or dead things.

If you can, switch to RO/DI water since DI is pure water.

You might want to try some nutrient export with a fuge, other than that you can try phosphate remover. I have never used the stuff but I have heard the iron based stuff is best.

The algae won't go away until you figure out the cause. Scrubing your rocks won't work most of the time if you don't correct the cause of it.

Even after scrubing it, the algae has deep roots so it grows right back.

Just keep plucking it until you find the root of the problem.

By the way how old is the 96w power quad?

I have a 96w PQ and those things shift in light spectrum fairly quick so it may be time to change it.

Mine only seem to last 6 months max and then I start to see more algae.

What kind of swing arm hydrometer do you use?

You didn't mention the number of fish etc in your tank. They can be a big contributer of nutrients. You may be feeding your fish and corals too often and too much as well. An algae problem is generally a problem of nutrient input into the system. Try feeding less in both quantity and frequency.

Thanks for the replys! I just got the light in february, and I'm using a deep six hydrometer. I've heard of their inaccuracy, so I've got a refractometer coming in the mail as we speak. I'm hoping that my sp gr is actually too high and that may be causing some algae growth, but probably not! I've just got the one clownfish right now, and 6 blue legged hermits that eat up the flake food that the clownfish doesn't get. I'm feeding about every other day and am watching how much he's eating so as not to put too much in there.

Well, I guess all I can do is keep up with the water changes and hope for the best. I would put a phosphate remover in my HOB, but I'm getting 0 phosphate readings. As well as 0 nitrate readings, so I'm really puzzled.

simple nutrient control is the key:water changes

nutrient export (protein skimming, macroalgae harvesting, etc.)

careful feeding circulation to keep detritus in suspension

appropriate dosing. doing this should stop your algae problem. if not then let me know. i would recommend a skimmer immedialtely.

thanks drewmd...I was thinking of a skimmer, and even tried the skilter 250 (what a piece of crap!) Any suggestions on an affordable skimmer that is going to work well? As for now, I'm going to continue with the WC's and try my best to keep things clean.

that's an idea, unfortunatly, where I live the lfs's don't stock anything accept the most common saltwater species. It sucks especially when you've got something in mind that you really want! I would try mail order, but by the time I pay for shipping to canada, I might as well give them the keys to my car!

Archived