Top Shelf Aquatics

Nyc

realhiphop

... ok well I'm from NYC and I plan on taking a trip out to Absolutely Fish in NJ this weekend. I'm hoping those who have been there can give me some advice. My basic questions are concerning if I should by these items there or buy them online as far as price, and with live rock, obviously quality.

1. Minijet 404 and 606 and my ebo jager heater (50W)

2. Should I attempt to find a 2x36 PC there, or should I just go with the PSL 2x36?

3. How is there price and quality of live rock? I've been looking at a few places online (gulfview, Dr. Mac, and some others) and I'm curious how they compare.

I might think of some other questions later.

I would order the drygoods online. Livestock is hit or miss. You don't know what you are getting so order online with caution. When it comes to rock, I prefer ordering online simply because it beats schlepping the rock, especially in a heatwave (I'm in NYC too). However, when you pick your rock you get to pick shapes and sizes so if you don't mind the haul, buy from them.

I have had only good experiences ordering livestock from marinedepot and highly recommend them.

For dry goods, premium aquatics is awesome. If everything isn't in stock, they will ship the back ordered goods free (at least they are for me). Email cory@premiumaquatics.com and tell him what you need. They tend to match prices (again, they do for me) so if you see it cheaper, tell him.

I'd love to hear about absuloutely fish. I want to take a trip out there some time soon.

Buy all equipment online. You won't get a better deal in a store, especially Absolutely Fish. It is a really good store for livestock(hell of a selection and great quality), but as stated, they're very pricey. Their LR is (I believe) $10/lb. Last time I was there, they had this REALLY nice knobby LR (don't know what kind exactly) that was COMPLETELY covered in red and purple coralline. At that time, there was more than enough of it there to scape a nano with, but that was a week or so ago. But it was beautiful rock, made me wanna set up another tank.

I can point you towards another place in Hackensack where I got my rock from. They have very nice Fiji for $6/lb. Mine had no die-off whatsoever (of course I'm only 15min away). It was very pourous, had nice coralline coverage, and lots of hitchikers. Only problem is, it's not a big place, and it's hit or miss with their LR selection. You'd do best to call and find out when they're getting a new shipment in.

What size tank are you doing? If it's a 20, I personally would go with Gulf View. They have that 30lb special that would be great for a 20, and I've heard raves about their rock and their service. Just get your lights up first, they have a lotta goodies on their rock you won't want to loose.

I'm setting up a 10G. I bought the tank and 15 pounds of special reef grade sand so far.

I plan on buying the equipment I stated above. Any advice on setup order?

also, since you guys all seem to recommend buying equipment online.... where would you recommend I buy the equipment I stated above?

i agree with reef93. i just went there looking for a neon goby but also took a look around the coral & inverts. their prices are high, especially for his quality.

if you want to spend that much go to underwater world in roselle. pricey but the best quality. he has a poor fish selection though, his store's about 1/5 of the size but he has three times the experience and ability.

you could also go the other way, out to the island and check out petswarehouse. good prices and selection from their online site.

they're a couple of other guys in the area (no. nj) but not too good imo. hanover pet in east hanover is ok. going down so. nj there's a couple but others here have more experience with those.

for drygoods you can go with championlighting.com or petswarehouse.com

I would get your lights from http://www.ahsupply.com and everything else you need, you can find at http://www.bigalsonline.com I've used both, and have nothing bad to say about either.

I'm not sure what you mean by setup order, but place the sand in the tank before adding pre-mixed water. Otherwise you'll have to endure the endless sandstorm like I did.

Reef93, thanks for that link!

ABs Fish is a great place. Chip and Rich there are very knowlegeable. I do however have 2 criticizims.... F*&^^$ing expensive dry goods and the "nice" corals are over priced...... HOWEVER, they are healthy. Id rather pay 100.00 for a goregous Torch or Lobo than to pay 45.00 fer a sheeity one that is stressed or faded in color. I buy 90 % of my stuff wholesale or have it drop shipped, but occasionaly I become a "retail sap" like everyone else. Some of my nicest pices I paid through the nose for.... but, Eh, this is an expensive hobby. heheh:o

dave,

speaking of overpriced at AF(absolutely fish). I saw they have a piece pulsing xenia(about 2-3 stalks and around 3") and labled $90...LOL. If you live close by check it out. BTW, I will giving it out for free...LOL

Archived