Pod Your Reef

Dirty Joe's 28 Gallons of Magic

Joe Dirt

Spirofucci

Sexy Corals, LOL. Right in step with Dirty Old Man Corals!!!

Nice score on the new one's!!! Your tank is looking fine!

I have that Alk checker. I like it. Easy to use and I think accurate! I wouldn't get the Hanna Ca checker is sucks.

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sexy Corals, LOL. Right in step with Dirty Old Man Corals!!!

Nice score on the new one's!!! Your tank is looking fine!

I have that Alk checker. I like it. Easy to use and I think accurate! I wouldn't get the Hanna Ca checker is sucks.

I may get the PO4 one, but the cost of the Ca testing stuff is like $20! The Alk one is only $8.99 for 25. I think they could afford to improve upon the Ca tester a bit.

Spirofucci
I may get the PO4 one, but the cost of the Ca testing stuff is like $20! The Alk one is only $8.99 for 25. I think they could afford to improve upon the Ca tester a bit.

I don't know anything about their PO4 tester.

I wouldn't mind spending the $$ for the testing stuff on the Ca if it was reliable. I just got the Pro Red Sea Ca and Mg test kits because Brad/Deckoz like them. I haven't tried them out yet.

I don't know anything about their PO4 tester.

I wouldn't mind spending the $$ for the testing stuff on the Ca if it was reliable. I just got the Pro Red Sea Ca and Mg test kits because Brad/Deckoz like them. I haven't tried them out yet.

I started off with the API stuff which I found to be grossly inaccurate. Especially for Alk. Then I switched over to Salifert. They are very accurate and the Alk tests within .3 dKH. I love the salifert kits and I think they're the only ones that have a Mg test kit, which I test for. But the speed and ease of use and cheap costs of the additional testing fluid for the Hanna made getting their Alk tester a no brainer. Plus, no human error with color changing recognition.

I like the Alk Checker as well. I have a calcium checker that I've never used. Was waiting to finish up my Salifert Calcium.

Those are Utter Chaos. Very nice in person.

It's like high school in there :lol: My last thread was a doozie. Drunks, bigots, and bullies. It is a veritable cornucopia of personalities. I think it's funny.

The color would go well with in my macro tank!

Yes, it is like high school...and you are the teacher :)

I wouldn't get the Hanna Ca checker it sucks.

Where did you hear/read about their Ca checker. I've always heard pretty good things about them. Just wondering.

I like the Alk Checker as well. I have a calcium checker that I've never used. Was waiting to finish up my Salifert Calcium.

I test for Alk more often, so I guess that sort of offsets the cost of the testing kits. LMK how you like the Hanna Ca tester. Maybe check salifert's accuracy against the Hanna before your kit runs out? Would be interesting. I guess I just don't like the mixing and counting and waiting and all that jazz. I like the digital readout. Easy.

The color would go well with in my macro tank!

Out of the 11 polyps, only 3 are fully developed and colored up. But I'll be sure to save you one when they do.

Spirofucci

There are a few threads on here and RC regarding their Ca checker.

Long story but when I got mine I tested about ten times with a very different results. Then I did some research and found many folks with the same issues. The main problem is that the sample of water to be tested is only 0.1 cc.

After many calls to Hanna and having them state it is all user error, I did end up speaking to one of their engineers who told me that they never should have released the Ca checker because it never did do well in the field tests. Any way they were very nice and even sent me a new one after I sent mine in to be checked. I again did about 10 tests and got ten very different results.

I don't want to bad mouth Hanna because their other devices seem to be very good. Just my experience with the Ca checker.

Hmm. It seems I should wait for v2.0. As long as the Alk is cool then that's what I'm concerned about ATM. Thanks for the info Mark.

I found AEFWs on my frag of northern light granulosa. I dipped it and the rest of my frags and I'm hoping for the best. I guess the next step would be to cut all the grown out acros from their spots on the rocks and setup a quarantine tank to treat them. Hating life right now. I'd hate to lose those pieces. Searching and hand picking most of them leaves you sort of attached to them. This sucks. I feel sort of confident that it was just isolated to that frag but I'm preparing for the fact that they may be everywhere. I'll be keeping a close eye for white spots on the acros as the days pass. Wish me luck. :(

Good luck!!!!!!! I hope it's just on the one frag!!!!!!!!

I don't know what the AE part is, but FW is Flatworms

I just looked it up: Acropora Eating Flatworms

Spirofucci

Thanks Gena! Now you made me feel so lazy, I guess I could have looked it up!

Joe, do you really have to remove them all and dip them?? Isn't there some type of wrasse that will have them for dinner????

Oh, now I know what pests you were talking about!

:scarry:

I hope you got them taken care of and that they don't spread! Keep us posted!

Thanks Gena! Now you made me feel so lazy, I guess I could have looked it up!

Joe, do you really have to remove them all and dip them?? Isn't there some type of wrasse that will have them for dinner????

I'm going to blow the SPS off often and my 6 line should chew them up. But AEFW can wipe your SPS out. It's scary. I've got some good money invested. I guess we'll see.

Good luck! I'd hate to see you lose any of the nice stuff you have. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Good luck! I'd hate to see you lose any of the nice stuff you have. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks Felicia. fingerscrossed

Just a quick review on the Hanna Alk tester...simply put, it rocks. It's so easy to use and is amazingly accurate. I was impressed so much, I ordered a PO4 tester too. Although, I am going to hold off on the Ca tester until they revamp the design or change the instructions to make it a better and more accurate product. On a side note, I put some frags up on CL for the first time. Let's see how it goes. fingerscrossed

Spirofucci
Just a quick review on the Hanna Alk tester...simply put, it rocks. It's so easy to use and is amazingly accurate. I was impressed so much, I ordered a PO4 tester too. Although, I am going to hold off on the Ca tester until they revamp the design or change the instructions to make it a better and more accurate product. On a side note, I put some frags up on CL for the first time. Let's see how it goes. fingerscrossed

Glad you like the alk tester, I like mine as well. How is the worm problem?

Glad you like the alk tester, I like mine as well. How is the worm problem?

SSDD. I'm frustrated with them. These traps don't do #### to actually catch them. I am already starting to see a couple empty shells. Maybe I should suck all the sand out slowly over time and go bare bottom to get rid of these little bastards. I will certainly do things differently next time.

OH no! AEFW!!! I dread something like that. Good luck, Joe!

Crap, I just realized he was talking about AEFW and not bristle worms. I think I got the AEFW problem as soon as it showed its ugly head. I haven't seen any other corals affected and no new white spots on the frag that was affected. I'm crossing my fingers on this one. I got to tell you, it was on a frag that I got from Vivid. Quarantine, quarantine, quarantine.

I've been seriously considering the Hanna Alk tester. I test so often for it, might as well make my life easier :)

and after the initial cost, its just $8.99 for 25 tests and a AAA battery. Can't beat that for a quick and easy and accurate tester. I love it.

and after the initial cost, its just $8.99 for 25 tests and a AAA battery. Can't beat that for a quick and easy and accurate tester. I love it.

Makes perfect sense to pick one up. How many steps are involved in the test?

Archived