ReefCleaners.org

GSP Cutting Question

DSparks

I have a GSP cutting (my first coral!), and i'm having a hard time figuring out which way is "up". I want to make sure the little guy is placed appropriately so that he will survive. I've attached a picture for reference.

Also, right now I have it just kinda wedged into a rock. Do I need to attach it more permanantly (glue, toothpick etc.)?

Don't be afraid to tell me I'm over-analyzing. I'm like a new daddy or something, sheesh!

some of the frag looks like its facing the right way but other parts seem to be face down, you want all the little tubes to be facing up, although that might not be possible, i woudnt worry to much about it, also place it somewere were it wont move to much and it should grab onto the rock within a few weeks. make sure its getting enough flow as well and it should spread pretty fast, GSP in my experience is one of the fastest growing coral. hope this helps.

Thanks jocole37,

I've turned it upside down, which I hope is right side up :)

Most polyps seem to be facing up now, but many are still in the opposite direction. I guess I'll just let nature take it's course now.

Congratulations on your first coral!!!

I have had good results by cutting the GSP mat into smaller pieces and then using super glue to attach them to a rock. You can make sure everything is face up, I mean, polyp up. It looks cool to make a few patches on a rock and watch over time as they grow together.

I may try that. Right now the mat is in one whole piece. The polyps are finally starting to bud out a little during the day though, so I may just let it go and see what happens.

Is there any rhyme or reason on where to cut the mat? Do I follow some kind of line, or just make a straight cut? I'd like to start a few different patches from my one large patch.

Just try to cut the purple mat between the polyps and you will be fine. The best cuts would be those that allow you to roll it out flat, thus making it easier to glue down.

Archived