Coral Vue Hydros

Xenia Placement?

DSparks

The xenia really opened up last night after being acclimated and added to the tank. I was impressed. For some reason it hasn't filled out today like it did yesterday. Water parameters are:

*Ammonia, Trites, Trates @ 0

*PH @ 8.3

*SG @ 1.025

*Phosphates @ <0.2

*Calcium @ 360 (I know this is low, got some B-ionic on the way).

*Temp @ 80

I also have an alk test kit on the way.

It was under VHO at the LFS, and I have a 70W MH with actinic supplementation. Should I stick it out a day or two more, or try relocating it? It's about mid-level in the water column in a medium to high flow rate.

I fed some shrimp pellets yesterday for my cleanup crew. The xenia seemed to eat some of the free floating food. Should I give this another shot?

Also, if anyone can ID the type of xenia, that would be great! I'm thinking it's a tree xenia based on some pictures I have seen, but maybe I'm wrong?

So is it normal for a xenia to shrivel up and look really sickly? Mine was extremely healthy yesterday at the store, and was really shriveled when I put it in. I am thinking it is just getting aclimated, but have seen it get any better just worse. My tank params are perfect, and everything else is doing just fine. I just hope this thing is just getting comfy and not dying on me. I paid way to much for it to begin with, so if I have to call the store and tell them that another one of their corals died in my tank I will be super ####ed.

Really? Well it was ok when I first put it close to the light, and then I moved it to the bottom, and now it is just looking horrible, so i will move it back.

I have been very suprised by the effect of light on xenia. My 5 minibow has 4W per gallon of light and even at the top of the tank the xenia extends and very rarely pulses. In my 10G I have almost 20W per gallon and it acts completely differently; the clumps are much smaller and the pulse rate is very fast. Here are some pics to clarify. The first if of my 5.5 and the second of my 10. The clump in the second photo is from the center colony in the first after about 3 weeks under the MH lighting.

030804001.jpg

031304002.jpg

What a difference. That's interesting. I changed my hoods out one day (from MH to PC) so that I could mod the hood. I didn't notice much of a difference. I'm sure it takes longer than a day to see results like yours though.

Thanks for the info!

Deadlykorean

MY xenia took about a week or so to fully extend again... my SG was a bit lower than your so I raised it to around 1.024/5 ish and it has been fine since, but I'd give it some time.

Well, mine is starting to look a little better now. One of the polyps is even pulsing slowly. I think that once I fixed my light/UV leak it stopped the melting issue I was having. Then I guess it just needed some time to adjust to MH lighting and my tank params.

I have a little bit of a temp problem (83 with MH going all day). I should be able to resolve it with a fan installation tomorrow though.

Archived