Cultivated Reef

GR's 12g Long Macro Reef

grmoore

Nice! does it have an oopening or lid, or do you have to take the whole thing off everytime you get into the tank? Ive been thinking about a lid, but I like having mine open. Even though I have to fill a gallon a day lol

It's one solid piece (about 10 lbs) that's cut to size. I left enough opening for feeding and dosing without having to take the top off, but for maintenance, I remove the whole thing. I have plastic standoffs all around the rim of the aquarium that leaves a 1/8 inch breather area between the tank and the lid. I feel this provides for more than adequate gas exchange especially with the amount of surface turbulence provided with the closed loop and HOB filter. I'm still undecided on putting the MP10 in there as I don't want to have to worry about chopping up the green sea slug since he travels all over the tank.

Edit: I've increased the standoffs to 1/2" to allow for a higher water level with the Tunze ATO.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tank looks great, can't wait to see it with the new additions.

Thanks for the kind words castiel! I have a couple of macros on order from LAReefs that should be here today - going to give them a try to see how their stock holds up in shipping. Their eBay store has no negatives against it, so I'm hoping for the best. Then I'm making a good sized macro order on Sunday from a different supplier to round out the livestock for this season. I'll let it all grow out over the winter months and just keep an eye out for anything rare or unusual during that time.

I recieved what turned out to be a huge shipment of coral and macro algae from Gulf Coast Ecosystems (live-plants) and LA Reefs yesterday, and I'm exceptionally happy with what arrived. I only managed to get them temperature acclimated and dropped into the display tank last night, and I only know the names of a few of them so far. This will take several days to sort through, mount and place, so I'll update as I go along.

Some red Gracilaria, Botryocladia (Red Grape) and maybe yellow Eucheuma.

IMG_3713.JPG

Purple Rod Gorgonian, Purple Corkey Finger Gorgonian, Spotted Rose

IMG_3714.JPG

Pom Pom Algae, Sianaia Complanata, Acetabularia, a bunch of others.

IMG_3715.JPG

Maiden's fan, Halimeda Opuntia, couple of other Halimeda .

IMG_3716.JPG

Red... and huge... no idea yet.

IMG_3717.JPG

Spotted Rose.

IMG_3721.JPG

Yellow Eucheuma?

IMG_3722.JPG

Purple Rod Gorgonian.

IMG_3724.JPG

Scinaia?

IMG_3725.JPG

Scinaia again?

IMG_3726.JPG

Pom Pom Algae and Acetabularia.

IMG_3727.JPG

Acetabularia and a really bright green macro.

IMG_3728.JPG

The bright green macro.. I would have said a caulerpa, but it appears to have no runner.

IMG_3730.JPG

Purple Corkey Finger Gorgonian.

IMG_3733.JPG

FTS shot - everything just tossed in for now.

IMG_3735.JPG

If you happen to know what any of these are, please let me know! I'll be getting this all arranged and will post a new FTS as soon as possible.

drunkenmonk21

Wow, thats a nice array of additions you got there, im pretty jealous!! Plants look like they are in great shape, did you get much die off? That blue ochtodes looks a bit different then what I got Im not sure.

Keep us updated looking really good :D

Wow, thats a nice array of additions you got there, im pretty jealous!! Plants look like they are in great shape, did you get much die off? That blue ochtodes looks a bit different then what I got Im not sure.

Thus far, only one piece looks a bit iffy. I'm giving it a lot of light and flow right now, and it appears to be brightening up. Everything else looks fantastic. Sure wish I knew what half of the species are - they sent way more than I would have ever expected.

After further research, what I thought was Blue Ochtodes is actually Pom Pom Algae - Galaxaura.

drunkenmonk21
After further research, what I thought was Blue Ochtodes is actually Pom Pom Algae - Galaxaura.

Thats what I was thinking it might be. Looked alot like the Pink Galaxaura Ive got. :D

Except mine is diminishing fast :(

Good luck!!

Thats what I was thinking it might be. Looked alot like the Pink Galaxaura Ive got. :D

Except mine is diminishing fast :(

Good luck!!

High light and high flow. I would presume calcium dosing as well would help it.

It took a couple of days, but I got all of the macros and coral sorted and placed in the tank. I think it came out quite nicely. Tomorrow I'll give a go at moving the 3 Blue Green Chromis into the tank.

Here's a FTS and some closer shots from left to right.

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3740.JPG

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

Woo! that's very nice!!!

Really nice tank mate. Really good growth!

Gonna be a lot of pruning needed. Very pretty. Must be pod heaven in there.

Thank you all for the kind comments. Pods are lovin' it!

from the image on the first page, it look like you have a lot of Flatworms :D

There's a few, but not a huge number of them. I've tried the flashlight trick but that didn't work at all. They've not been an issue thus far, and i suction out what I see when I do maintenance.

I just started up my 12 gal long too! Nice to see someone with the same tank that is also doing a macro tank. I am waiting on 2 orders to arrive. 1 is from LA Reefs and 1 is from Live-Plants.com. I did pick up a couple pants from my local high-end fish store here in Phoenix, AZ.

Can I ask how long of a photoperiod you are using? I'm going with a 12 on/ 12 off, but a friend of mine used a 24/7 period with excellent results(he also used pressurized CO2 though).

Thanks!

Your tank is beautiful!

Heres a shot of mine. Pretty barren till I get my orders.

12Long002.jpg

I just started up my 12 gal long too! Nice to see someone with the same tank that is also doing a macro tank. I am waiting on 2 orders to arrive. 1 is from LA Reefs and 1 is from Live-Plants.com. I did pick up a couple pants from my local high-end fish store here in Phoenix, AZ.

Can I ask how long of a photoperiod you are using? I'm going with a 12 on/ 12 off, but a friend of mine used a 24/7 period with excellent results(he also used pressurized CO2 though).

Thanks!

Your tank is beautiful!

Heres a shot of mine. Pretty barren till I get my orders.

12Long002.jpg

Very nice rockscape! It amazes me how big these tanks actually are. I'm sure you'll like the Mr Aqua a lot! I'm running my lights 15 hours on and 9 hours off, with the skimmer running while the lights are off to oxygenate the water and help prevent pH swings.

Looking good. Im gonna have to put in an order to gce soon. Those plants look great!

Do the chromis stay in that corner of the tank? or were they trying to get away from you lol.

Man, seeing all those macros makes me so envious! I wish I lived in Florida!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRG. :P

Great tank btw, nicely kept. How are you keeping up with demands on the nutrients? Or since you're so close to many options for macros do you just replace them when they die? :huh:

Man, seeing all those macros makes me so envious! I wish I lived in Florida!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRG. :P

Great tank btw, nicely kept. How are you keeping up with demands on the nutrients? Or since you're so close to many options for macros do you just replace them when they die? :huh:

He's in Ohio, i'm in Miami :P

looks great man! Good work. I have always loved 12 long's with macros

Thank you for the kind words!

Looking good. Im gonna have to put in an order to gce soon. Those plants look great!

Do the chromis stay in that corner of the tank? or were they trying to get away from you lol.

I only had one plant that didn't make it out of all of them, so I'm exceptionally pleased. Everything seems to have settled in well and is showing good growth.

The chromis like to hang around the inflow of the MP10 (you can see it's covered in Ulva). My computers are at the other end of the tank, and they watch me all day waiting for me to pick up the tweezers to feed them crushed flake food. As soon as I touch the tweezers, they move to the center of the tank waiting to be fed.. smart buggers :)

Archived