Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dark green chaeto = too much or too little light?

tylernt

This is my first attempt at using chaeto in a 'fuge. I got a little blob from the LFS that was half light green and half dark green. After a few days in my 'fuge, it's pretty much all a dark green (too early to tell if there is growth). No melting, the stuff is still nice and stiff.

My question is, is the dark green my chaeto telling me it's happy or unhappy? 'Fuge light is a a Dymax Robot LED, 28 5mm LEDs that I'm running slightly dimmed. Photoperiod is opposite the main tank, about 12 hours a day. Chaeto is placed about 1 inch away from the light (it's a real small/shallow compartment).

My eyes say the light is really freakin' bright but my eyes don't register PAR... thoughts?

Dark green is fine but I would move the light further away than 1" if possible. 6" would be better
Unfortunately, the rear chamber in my tank (IQ3) is 4"x2"x2" so I don't have a lot of room to work with. ;) I can infinitely dim my light, though, so I can reduce intensity if needed.

Mine turns light green when it gets too much light dark green is fine.
Ok, I guess I won't change anything and see what happens after a couple weeks.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: chaeto has definitely been growing, it's at least doubled in size, maybe more. It's also very stiff and wiry, which I think is good. I think the light green I saw was just different levels of light at the LFS.

It's also pulled my nitrates down from 15ish to 5, hoping that will drop to 0 soon. :)

I just got some chaeto from a LFS... was so dissapointed, I wish I would have looked at it first but instead the guy grabbed a cup and tossed it in a bag. I couldnt see it till i got home.

This chaeto consisted of long strands that would not curl around each other... as apposed to the "Afro" like stringy pubic style chaeto I had before... And that type was easy to tumble in my fuge.

This crap i got now has all separated from the ball... pieces are everywhere in my sump!!!

I gotta find the AFRO PUBIC Style chaeto, thats stuff is the WIN

Yeah the stuff I got blows... Im gonna take a pic tonight and post it on my tank thread.

right now, I bet its all completely seperated and flying all over. Sucking into my fuge powerhead and all.

Wish U were my neighbor. :D

Archived