Coral Vue Hydros

Nerites

Dromiidae

John, how long can these guys live out of water? Found one on my desk tonight by my foot, and lets just say I haven't seen him in the tank in a long time....like days..... maybe even a week or more. What manner of witchcraft is this??? :lol:

bamboosharkbark

they come out of the water from time to time, they're intertidal.

now admit it, the only reason you posted is because you wanted to say: "what manner of witchcraft is this?"

they come out of the water from time to time, they're intertidal.

now admit it, the only reason you posted is because you wanted to say: "what manner of witchcraft is this?"

Ok I admit it was fun to say...but come on these guys can stay out a LONG time! Best glass cleaners in my tank along with the dwarf ceriths.

Nerites carry water with them in their shell, sometimes when you pluck them off the side of a hard surface they sort of spit it at you. They can live as long as they can carry this water with them and keep their gills wet. That is why they can be so adventurous. THey usually learn their constraints over a week, some take longer, your best bet is to place them at the bottom of a rock, they are looking for somewhere they can have protection on all sides around their shell.

Nerites carry water with them in their shell, sometimes when you pluck them off the side of a hard surface they sort of spit it at you. They can live as long as they can carry this water with them and keep their gills wet. That is why they can be so adventurous. THey usually learn their constraints over a week, some take longer, your best bet is to place them at the bottom of a rock, they are looking for somewhere they can have protection on all sides around their shell.

Cool, very interesting. It seems like they did learn because this was the last one to really leave the tank. Haven't even really seen any attmpts lately. Again, much better at constant cleaning than astreas and turbos I've tried.

Archived