SaltCritters.com

green and red on my sand

mkhan

hey i had my tank since bout last october, and everything is going good corals , and fish all alright......but on my sand bed i have like a green and red slimy bed forming on it can some1 tell me what it is, if its good, bad or harmless and how to get rid of it???

thanks

cyanobacteria? Is't that "red slime"? I think there is a med to get rid of it. There are also a few critters that might eat it as well.. I'm not sure of them at the moment. Do some searching and you'll find it..

I don't know of anything that will eat it, but I have had some serious cyano problems in the past with my tank. The common precautions are to keep your flow up, make sure you have adequate lighting (apparently ailing bulbs can cause cyano outbreaks). I fiddled around with all those things for a while but your best bet to erradicate it quickly is to get some Chemi-Clean. It worked wonders for me and I've seen it work wonders in a couple friends' tanks - nuked all the cyano in about 3 days and had no ill effects on anything else in the tank. Next time your down at your LFS see if they've got some . .

d.

you can also try some water changes and siphoning the stuff out by hand if there isnt too much of it. Be sure something either current or life is agitating the surface where it is occuring it can help slow the process.

Archived