SaltCritters.com

HOW TO- Make a fake sand bed

pico-reefer

I guess if you did this though you would have to be careful about getting sand dwelling creatures.

That would be correct. That is why I did a partial one, leaving the front part of my BC29 with real sand. That way I still had some sand for the SB Dwellers but it is easy to get to it and clean.

Is it obvious where the real sand stops an the fake sand begins?

Nope you can not tell. Unless the sand is pushed back from the transition then you can see the ledge. But the SB blends with the Faux SB perfectly.

Can you tell it in this picture? You are looking right at the transition. The Pink centered brown Zoa's are setting on the Faux SB and the Eagle eyes and Fire and Ices are on the real SB along with the Formia Star fish. Sorry I regret to say I have non of these Zoas nor the Starfish any longer.

DSCF0001-1.jpg

Note I do allow a small layer of lose sand on the faux SB to help hide the transition.

That's amazing! You can't tell the difference.

Sorry OP I didn't mean to Hijack your thread.

Nope if you viewed the tank in person today you could not tell that 80% of the SB is fake. One thing going on today is since I have gone to this tank setup up to hold a LTA. The LTA needed a couple inches of sand for its footing. So I built a cove out of rock and put about 2" of sand on top of my Faux I know this is stupid and I should have just pulled the whole Fauz SB out but I just left it.

This picture is pretty resent and you can see the cove I made for the LTA with a couple inches of sand. I drew some arrows showing where the SB had got pushed away from the Faux SB and you can see the ridge left.

IMAG0322-1.jpg

Also just an idea for those thinking of doing the partial Faux SB. If you tapered down the leading edge of the Faux SB you would never have a hard edge showing if the real SB got pushed back.

Lol i love the arrows

Couldn't find my paint by numbers art kit so I had to free hand it. ;):lol:

Cool idea on the faux sand bed... from the sounds of it it's not reflective at all, right?

No reflection of light what so ever as fare as mine goes. Once you get it wet it looks just like sand. Hopefully the OP will jump in here and give us some of his ideas. Shot he started this thread. :flower::)

• 4 weeks later...

1505.jpg

Took the plunge. I made mine in place in the tank. It's drying now but visually looks no different than a real sand bed. I'll post updates on my thread if anyone is interested.

1505.jpg

Took the plunge. I made mine in place in the tank. It's drying now but visually looks no different than a real sand bed. I'll post updates on my thread if anyone is interested.

Cool I'll check them out.

Archived