SaltCritters.com

Thinking about starting a frag business

bhskicker18

So I am thinking of starting a frag tank so I can sell frags locally (no lfs within 2 hours of Florence, AL) and to sell on here. I don't want it to be big and have a calcium reactor, ato, ect... I would mostly do sps and maybe a candy cane, frogspawn, and some middle class zoa's, but the rest sps. It wont be a big tank as I am on a limited budget. The stand I have is 24.5 inches long and 13.5 wide (front to back). I am thinking about a 20 gallon or a 30 high tank. The 30 high tank would give me more levels to work with and more levels means more corals!

Here would be my equipment list:

20 regular or 30 high tank

Pro Series Hang on Back Wet/Dry Filter Pro40 (200 gph)(skimmer included)

2 Koralia Nano's (425 gph)

1 Koralia 550

ReefStar HQI Metal Halide System 250 watt 14,000k

The fuge would have miracle mud, live rock, chaeto, and probable a couple mangroves. I would test calcium levels every other day and nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, phosphates, ect twice a week.

I am not trying to do this as my only source of income, but to help the reefs and help the few reefers in North Alabama. I would sell them anywhere from $10-$30 depending on what species and how big the frag is. My plan is to start out with 3-6 corals about 2.5-3 inches and let them grow for atleast a 4 months (maybe longer) before I frag then wait 2 weeks to a month before I sell the corals (I don't want to send something out that looks like it was freshly fraged or one that looks like its on the verge of death.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would suggest reading and following this thread in parallel to yours:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=278498

:-)

I read some of it yesterday, his thing is that he is planning on earning $30,000 plus with his and to have multiple tanks. This would be my only frag tank and I'm by no means trying to hit it big with this setup. If I make a ton of money thats great, but if after I break even I make $500 (or less for that matter) I would still be ok. He is doing it for the money, where as I am doing it for the local reefers and for the reef (every little bit help!). But that guy and my views are different if you look close enough.

• 2 weeks later...
euphoricgear

With sps, you would need your water really clean and your parameters cant flux much. I suggest instead of thinking of opening an aquaculture business, why not just have a nice display tank, if your water is stable, everything will grow and then just cut and sell.

By doing this, you enjoy the hobby more and actually have a show tank instead of a tank full of frag plugs. Just my opinion. :D Good luck

Archived