ReefCleaners.org

Cinnamon Clown owners (melanopus)

CarrieAgain

CarrieAgain

For those of you that own cinnamon clowns or have had them in the past, here's a question:

How aggressive are they? I'd like to get two tank raised juveniles for my 29g tank but I already have a Lawnmower Blenny in there and don't want him harmed.

The description in the fish catalog says: "well-adjusted to others of the same species and can be grouped with them if introduced simultaneously. Good fish to put with other species as well."

Joyce Wilkerson's Book

Clownfishes states:

(they are covering Tomato clowns ( frenatus) and Cinnamons (melanopus) in the same article)

"As adults, female Tomato clowns are vicious, more so to people than to other fishes."

All of this still seems acceptable to me. I try not to stick my hand in the tank anyway, but I certainly don't want the Blenny to get harassed.

I posted this question on Reef Central and the replies I got were very discouraging (Cinnamon = shark)

Fedex should be delivering my Cinnamon clown babies this morning and I am really worried!

If need to I can move Benny, the Blenny to one of my 10g hospital tanks, but I was really hoping they could live together okay and based my decision to buy on the info from the suppliers and the clownfish book.

:(

What's your experience with your cinnamons?

PS: mine will be the "Coral Sea Clown" version of the melanopus from Premium Aquatics.

Our little cinnamon is a little brute, but gets along swimingly with the bi color blenny that was put into the tank at the same time. But if I put my hand in the tank he tags me over and over again. I can definitely see cinnamons being aggresive with other fish.

• 1 month later...
CarrieAgain

Happy to report that the tank is doing great. The macro alage that came with the rock really seems to do a good job eating up all excess nutrients and the fish love to use them for hosts.

The fish...

:D They are great! No aggression towards the Blenny at all. At feeding time both cinnamons and the blenny beg together. Blenny is not intimitated at all.

I am happy with them and have attached a picture of the tank. I got kind of a monster Toadstool that takes up most of the tank and makes the clowns look pretty small but the Blenny likes to sleep in the Toadstool cup and I don't have the heart to turn it into frags...

Archived