ReefCleaners.org

What are these tentacles?

FamousGuy

I noticed these barely visible tentacles on one of my pieces of live rock, they are about an inch long, very fine, and come from a central point that I have yet to see cuz somethines always in the way. There's also a pattern on these things, about every 1/16 inch theres a small brown ball thing on the tentacle. They curl around in the current and sometimes one will "stick" to whatever it hits...any idea what these are?

BustytheSnowMaam

Could they be mini bristle starfish? Mine, I can't see the entire starfish- only a tentacle that sticks out of a hole and "waves" at me. They are about the size of a quarter.

However, I don't know what the "small brown thing" on the tentacle could be. That doesn't sound like a starfish.

Tasha

I thought maybe it could be some kind of star, but it seems like the central base never moves. I'll take a look at the peanut worms

ok it's definately some kind of worm, i turned my current off and they came out onto the rocks. Its really weird how they have these really long tenticles coming out of their heads, they look like squid

Its a Terebellid Polychleate worm. The sticky strands are specialized feading tubules that can streach out to nearly a foot in some cases. The worms lives deep in live rock and it rarely moves from its calcified shelter. Quite Harmless and an Excelent scavenger.

;)

Archived