Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

opinions on flame scallop

nano man can

nano man can

i just bought a flame scallop to check it out i ut it in my 20 gal nano thats been runnin for about 1 month an 1 week. just wonderin about other ppls experiance with this animal

My first one lasted about 4 months then I discovered him in the morning been eaten by my hermets. And the second one, well I still cant find him after 2 months haven't seen him since..looks like the critters in my tank are having a feast at my exsense. There nice and wonder everywhere, who know I may get another..or not.

Do you figure your scallop died and then got eaten by your hermits, or do you think your hermits took him out? I was thinking of one of these for my tank too but if its gonna suffer the same fate as yours (I have lots of hermits) I think I'll pass.

d.

Just keep in mind that these guys do move around and can upset your frags etc. Other than that they are pretty cool. I kept one for about 2 years in my first marine tank. Very cool critter.

LITTLEFISHEE

Flame scallops are hard for me to keep too. I had one for a few months, and the hermits finished it off. It was looking pretty bad for a few days before they ate it. I still don't know why it died, I target fed DT's, selcon and the juice from prime reef cubes.

nano man can

i think ima return him because i dont want the scallop upsetting my frags thanx for the help. the problem now is seeing if my lfs will take the scallop back

I think returning him would be a good idea. I had one for about 4 months as well. Found him one morning, partially open with a hermit crab inside its shell. The problem was, I didnt know how long he had been dead. Did a test and found he had caused a large ammonia spike...not good. Had to change the water quickly. That was in a 30 gallon reef. This would have been much more distasterous in a 7-gallon nano!

Archived