Top Shelf Aquatics

Ultimate BC14 build

yukongt

I have had my BC14 set up for about a year now. I thought I would be contect with it, but 6 months later I decided that I wanted to set up a bigger tank. I told my wife I would wait to set up a bigger tank when we bought a different house. Well, I went down to my local LFS and came home with a 40 breeder, skimmer, bulkheads etc and went to work building a stand in the garage (without my wife knowing). As you can assume this was not the best idea and my wife soom convinced me that I did not need another tank, especially with our first child on the way. The drilled 40 breeder now sits in the shed where someday it will hopefully be used for a 300g+ inwall build, but that is years down the road.

I did convince her that I needed to tinker with something and that I wanted to create the "Ultimate BC14". Previously I had installed 13 Cree XRE and a biocube skimmer, but I wanted more!!! (I sound like Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor"). I decided that I was going to drill my BC14 and install a 20g sump and Euroreef RS80 skimmer.

That is exactly what I did over the weekend. I finished up my stand and proceeded to build the sump and drill the biocube. Everything went just as planned. I was a little nervous about drilling the Biocube while set up, but everything went fine. I now have a 1" drain and a 1/2" return line.

The stand is not finished yet, but will be completed shortly. I wanted to finish enough of it so that I could move the tank over. I still need to finish the trim and paint it. The front door is completely removable and is held on by magnets. Also, the top is a piece of granite that I bought from Restore for $20 and cut down with my wet saw.

The sump area is still a mess. I need to buy an ATO system and an American DJ power strip to get everything cleaned up. I am going to be addind sand in the next week or two. Any suggestions on fish? I do not want to go the typical route of clownfish.

Oh, and how could I forget?!?! I also purchased an MP10. I can not believe that I never purchased one earlier. It is completely awesome and definitely worth the money. All my corals seem to love the natural currents in the tank.

Here are a few pictures so far.

dsc_0111.jpg

dsc_0120.jpg

dsc_0119.jpg

dsc_0117.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron

The sump will rock that tank, but soon you'll realize as I did, the tank shape (not really the size) sucks lol

The sump will rock that tank, but soon you'll realize as I did, the tank shape (not really the size) sucks lol

I am thinking it is going to add a world of difference. I am working on ordering a few more parts for the tank such as an American DJ power supply and an ATO.

I am also planning on addign sand back to the tank. I originally took it out becuase I was having problems with hair algae. I am pretty sure the sand was leaching phosphates into the tank.

I am thinking it is going to add a world of difference. I am working on ordering a few more parts for the tank such as an American DJ power supply and an ATO.

I am also planning on addign sand back to the tank. I originally took it out becuase I was having problems with hair algae. I am pretty sure the sand was leaching phosphates into the tank.

That LED mod looks pretty sweet! Any details on how I could re-create this in my BC14?

That LED mod looks pretty sweet! Any details on how I could re-create this in my BC14?

Thanks for the compliment!

There are several companies that sell kits to do this. I would check with nanotuners.com, reefledlights.com or rapidled.com.

this is gana be epic! lol good start

That is awesome! That might be something that I will consider with my brand new one. Do you have any pictures direct on the back where you drilled for your bulk head?

That is awesome! That might be something that I will consider with my brand new one. Do you have any pictures direct on the back where you drilled for your bulk head?

Thanks for the compliments on the tank. Progress has been a little slow as my wife and I just had out first child 4 weeks ago. It seems like I barely even have time to do the regular maintenance.

The only picture I have right now is the one that is posted. I just drilled the hole in the middle of the third chamber. Now that it is done I wish thaat I would have placed it a little closer to the bottom of the chamber. There is not enough room between the bulkhead and return to get to 90's of the drain to help with the gurgling. The noise is not had at all now becuase I haave such low flow, but it can always be better.

I did a little more work on the tank last night. I attached a 1 power strip to each side of the inside of the stand and then organized all the cords on plugged them into the appropriate power strip. The result is a much cleaner looking sump. I also bought a 2 gallon bucket from Home Depot and am using it as my top off. I am just doing gravity fed with a small valve to control the flow rate. It seems to be working pretty well.

On my Euroreef RS80 it says that the pvc overflow is 1-1/4". Can this be true? I am looking for pvc and a gate valve for this skimmer, but have never seen this size before. Any suggestions?

I purchased about 15lbs of aragonite sand last night. With my rockwork I am hoping that will be enought to give me a 1.5 to 2 " sand bed.

I am hoping to get the sand in tonight and post more pictures.

Stay tuned!

Well, I did not get the sand put in last night, but I did have enought time while the baby was sleeping to add my T5's to the sump. I am wanting to grow out a few select corals in my sump. We will see how it goes. I might end up ditching the T5's in the future for a Par38.

We will see.

Here is a quick picture of the tank. The quality is terrible, but you get the idea. I will try and get my Nikon out tonight.

Overall, the tank looks 100x better with the sand added to the tank. I am please with the direction it is heading.

2011-08-20_17.28.16.jpg

Below are a few new pictures. I need to start dealing with my aiptasia problem. Do peppermint shrimp reliably eat them? I used to inject them with vinegar, but can not find a syringe to use.

dsc_0324.jpg

dsc_0321.jpg

dsc_0327.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a little update. I have not done a lot to the tank except add a few sps frags.

Pink Acropora

ORA Bretts purple rim monti

ORA Roscoe's Blue

ORA Joe the Coral

Branching Hammer

Also, I started noticing flatworms in my tank so I have some flatworm exit on its way. Once I get them taken care of I am just going to sit and let things start to grow in. Everything is coloring up nicely under my LED's.

• 4 weeks later...

Another update. Everythings is doing well. I am still fighting aiptasia, but I am finally getting a handle on them.

I am going to do some modifications to my leds. I am going to split up my two led arrays into whites and blues and add two controllable drivers. I just bought a Reef Angel controller and would like to simulate weather patterns and lighting storms.

I just set it up on the fly and have been messting with it as I go. I am going to get the whites and blues set up on different drivers and then mess around with adding some RB and greens.

I know it has been a long time since I updated. Having a kid and a wife that owns her own dance school, I have very little spare time anymore. I have not done a ton to the tank. I have quieted down my overflow and added a gravity auto top off (more on this later).

Since the laste update I have added several frags from Nexxen (Hammer, Pink Acro, Bretts, Roscoe and Joe the coral). I have also added a pistol shrimp and a purple pseudo.

I am currently planning several changes to the tank. I am going to split my leds off onto two different drivers that are dimmable via PWM. I am also going to add a dosing pump to help automate my kalk top off. The gravity feed top off works, but not reliabley. I need somehting I do not hae to check for several days.

After some research I have decided to get a Reef Angel control. It can just about do everything since it is opensource. There is a module to control vortech and tunze pumps, run a dosing pump, wifi, PH, multiple temp probes, PWM dimming built into the relay box, moon lights, buzzer etc... With a little bit of coding you can make this thing do whatever you want. I will add more pictures as I get the Reef Angel programmed and installed.

My plan is to try and modify my led setup this weekend and seperate my whites and blues onto two constant current drivers I already have and them switch them out to dimable drivers later. I also want to head over to Brothers Pets and check out their acan sale. Who could pass that up?

Here are some current pictues of my setup.

dsc_0930.jpg

dsc_0932.jpg

dsc_0933.jpg

dsc_0936.jpg

More...

dsc_0938.jpg

dsc_0949.jpg

dsc_1137.jpg

dsc_1139.jpg

dsc_1140.jpg

I bought a Yasha Hase Goby for my pistol shrimp and a small Bangi Cardinal yesterday.

Also, I found my new favorite thing to do to my tank, nuke aiptasia with kalk paste. There is something enjoyable about watching them melt away.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update. I got my Reef Angel controller up and running. I have not unleashed its full potential, but the thing is awesome.

I also worked on my LEDS. I want to move my white and blue leds onto seperate drivers. I successfully moved the blue leds onto their own driver, but somehow I shorted out the whites. I took this as a good opportunity to order a dimmable driver and 8 new Cool White XPE's. I am hoping to have them by Thanksgiving so I have plenty of time to get them hooked up and running on my controlle.r

I am hoping to simulate the lunar cycles and be able simulate clouds and lightning.

e is my plan for the control of the leds. I have a cheap 3 led light that I am going to use for my moonlights. This will be dimmed with the lunar cycle. Then, my blue Cree LED's will go on around 10am and off around 10 pm. Finally, my white LED's will ramp up from 10% on at noon to 100% at 4 pm and then back down to 10% at 8 pm. Mixed in this schedule will be a chance of clouds and lighting. I will be able to set the frequency, intensity and duration of both clouds and lightning.

I have been emailing Roberto at ReefAngel and he offered to write the code for me. I couldn't be happier.

// Autogenerated file by RAGen (v1.1.0.126), (11/20/2011 15:16)  // RA_112011_1516.pde  //  // This version designed for v0.8.5 Beta 17 or later  /* The following features are enabled for this PDE File:   #define DisplayImages   #define SetupExtras   #define OverheatSetup   #define DateTimeSetup   #define MetalHalideSetup   #define DirectTempSensor   #define DisplayLEDPWM   #define StandardLightSetup   #define SaveRelayState   #define PWMEXPANSION   #define CUSTOM_MAIN   #define COLORS_PDE   #define ENABLE_ATO_LOGGING   #define ENABLE_EXCEED_FLAGS   */  #include <ReefAngel_Features.h>  #include <ReefAngel_Colors.h>  #include <ReefAngel_CustomColors.h>  #include <ReefAngel_Globals.h>  #include <ReefAngel_Wifi.h>  #include <Wire.h>  #include <OneWire.h>  #include <Time.h>  #include <DS1307RTC.h>  #include <ReefAngel_EEPROM.h>  #include <ReefAngel_NokiaLCD.h>  #include <ReefAngel_ATO.h>  #include <ReefAngel_Joystick.h>  #include <ReefAngel_LED.h>  #include <ReefAngel_TempSensor.h>  #include <ReefAngel_Relay.h>  #include <ReefAngel_PWM.h>  #include <ReefAngel_Timer.h>  #include <ReefAngel_Memory.h>  #include <ReefAngel.h>  byte DaylightPWMValue=0;  void DrawCustomMain()  {	// the graph is drawn/updated when we exit the main menu &	// when the parameters are saved	ReefAngel.LCD.DrawDate(6, 112);	pingSerial();  #if defined DisplayLEDPWM && ! defined RemoveAllLights	ReefAngel.LCD.DrawMonitor(15, 60, ReefAngel.Params,	ReefAngel.PWM.GetDaylightValue(), ReefAngel.PWM.GetActinicValue());  #else // defined DisplayLEDPWM && ! defined RemoveAllLights	ReefAngel.LCD.DrawMonitor(15, 60, ReefAngel.Params);  #endif // defined DisplayLEDPWM && ! defined RemoveAllLights	pingSerial();	byte TempRelay = ReefAngel.Relay.RelayData;	TempRelay &= ReefAngel.Relay.RelayMaskOff;	TempRelay |= ReefAngel.Relay.RelayMaskOn;	ReefAngel.LCD.DrawOutletBox(12, 93, TempRelay);  }  void DrawCustomGraph()  {	ReefAngel.LCD.DrawGraph(5, 5);  }  void setup()  {	ReefAngel.Init();  //Initialize controller    ReefAngel.FeedingModePorts = B00010000;	ReefAngel.WaterChangePorts = B00011100;	ReefAngel.OverheatShutoffPorts = B01000011;	ReefAngel.LightsOnPorts = B01000010;    // Ports that are always on	ReefAngel.Relay.On(Port3);	ReefAngel.Relay.On(Port4);	ReefAngel.Relay.On(Port5);	ReefAngel.Relay.On(Port8);  }  void loop()  {	// Specific functions	ReefAngel.MHLights(Port1);	ReefAngel.StandardLights(Port2);	ReefAngel.StandardHeater(Port6);	ReefAngel.MHLights(Port7);	ReefAngel.PWM.SetActinic(MoonPhase());	DaylightPWMValue=PWMSlope(10,00,22,15,0,50,40,DaylightPWMValue);	CheckCloud();	ReefAngel.PWM.SetDaylight(DaylightPWMValue);	ReefAngel.ShowInterface();  }  //*********************************************************************************************************************************  // Random Cloud/Thunderstorm effects function  void CheckCloud()  {    // ------------------------------------------------------------	// Change the values below to customize your cloud/storm effect    // Frequency in days based on the day of the month - number 2 means every 2 days, for example (day 2,4,6 etc)	// For testing purposes, you can use 1 and cause the cloud to occur everyday  #define Clouds_Every_X_Days 1    // Percentage chance of a cloud happening today	// For testing purposes, you can use 100 and cause the cloud to have 100% chance of happening  #define Cloud_Chance_per_Day 100    // Minimum number of minutes for cloud duration.  Don't use max duration of less than 6  #define Min_Cloud_Duration 7    // Maximum number of minutes for the cloud duration. Don't use max duration of more than 255  #define Max_Cloud_Duration 15    // Minimum number of clouds that can happen per day  #define Min_Clouds_per_Day 3    // Maximum number of clouds that can happen per day  #define Max_Clouds_per_Day 5    // Only start the cloud effect after this setting	// In this example, start could after 11:30am  #define Start_Cloud_After NumMins(11,30)    // Always end the cloud effect before this setting	// In this example, end could before 8:00pm  #define End_Cloud_Before NumMins(18,30)    // Percentage chance of a lightning happen for every cloud	// For testing purposes, you can use 100 and cause the lightning to have 100% chance of happening  #define Lightning_Change_per_Cloud 100    // Note: Make sure to choose correct values that will work within your PWMSLope settings.	// For example, in our case, we could have a max of 5 clouds per day and they could last for 50 minutes.	// Which could mean 250 minutes of clouds. We need to make sure the PWMSlope can accomodate 250 minutes of effects or unforseen resul could happen.	  // Also, make sure that you can fit double those minutes between Start_Cloud_After and End_Cloud_Before.	// In our example, we have 510 minutes between Start_Cloud_After and End_Cloud_Before, so double the 250 minutes (or 500 minutes) can fit in that 510 minutes window.	  // It's a tight fit, but it did. 	 //#define printdebug // Uncomment this for debug print on Serial Monitor window	#define forcecloudcalculation // Uncomment this to force the cloud calculation to happen in the boot process.    // Change the values above to customize your cloud/storm effect	// ------------------------------------------------------------	// Do not change anything below here    static byte cloudchance=255;	static byte cloudduration=0;	static int cloudstart=0;	static byte numclouds=0;	static byte lightningchance=0;	static byte cloudindex=0;	static byte lightningstatus=0;	static int LastNumMins=0;	// Every day at midnight, we check for chance of cloud happening today	if (hour()==0 && minute()==0 && second()==0) cloudchance=255;  #ifdef forcecloudcalculation	  if (cloudchance==255)  #else	  if (hour()==0 && minute()==0 && second()==1 && cloudchance==255)  #endif	  {		//Pick a random number between 0 and 99		cloudchance=random(100);		// if picked number is greater than Cloud_Chance_per_Day, we will not have clouds today		if (cloudchance>Cloud_Chance_per_Day) cloudchance=0;		// Check if today is day for clouds.		if ((day()%Clouds_Every_X_Days)!=0) cloudchance=0;		// If we have cloud today		if (cloudchance)		{		  // pick a random number for number of clouds between Min_Clouds_per_Day and Max_Clouds_per_Day		  numclouds=random(Min_Clouds_per_Day,Max_Clouds_per_Day);		  // pick the time that the first cloud will start		  // the range is calculated between Start_Cloud_After and the even distribuition of clouds on this day.		  cloudstart=random(Start_Cloud_After,Start_Cloud_After+((End_Cloud_Before-Start_Cloud_After)/(numclouds*2)));		  // pick a random number for the cloud duration of first cloud.		  cloudduration=random(Min_Cloud_Duration,Max_Cloud_Duration);		  //Pick a random number between 0 and 99		  lightningchance=random(100);		  // if picked number is greater than Lightning_Change_per_Cloud, we will not have lightning today		  if (lightningchance>Lightning_Change_per_Cloud) lightningchance=0;		}	  }	// Now that we have all the parameters for the cloud, let's create the effect    if (cloudchance)	{	  //is it time for cloud yet?	  if (NumMins(hour(),minute())>=cloudstart && NumMins(hour(),minute())<(cloudstart+cloudduration))	  {		DaylightPWMValue=ReversePWMSlope(cloudstart,cloudstart+cloudduration,DaylightPWMValue,0,180);		if (lightningchance && (NumMins(hour(),minute())==(cloudstart+(cloudduration/2))) && second()<5)		{		  if (random(100)<20) lightningstatus=1;		  else lightningstatus=0;		  if (lightningstatus)		  {			DaylightPWMValue=100;  //		  ActinicPWMValue=100;		  }		  else		  {			DaylightPWMValue=0;  //		  ActinicPWMValue=0;		  }		  delay(1);		}	  }	  if (NumMins(hour(),minute())>(cloudstart+cloudduration))	  {		cloudindex++;		if (cloudindex < numclouds)		{		  cloudstart=random(Start_Cloud_After+(((End_Cloud_Before-Start_Cloud_After)/(numclouds*2))*cloudindex*2),(Start_Cloud_After+(((End_Cloud_Before-Start_Cloud_After)/(numclouds*2))*cloudindex*2))+((End_Cloud_Before-Start_Cloud_After)/(numclouds*2)));		  // pick a random number for the cloud duration of first cloud.		  cloudduration=random(Min_Cloud_Duration,Max_Cloud_Duration);		  //Pick a random number between 0 and 99		  lightningchance=random(100);		  // if picked number is greater than Lightning_Change_per_Cloud, we will not have lightning today		  if (lightningchance>Lightning_Change_per_Cloud) lightningchance=0;		}	  }	}   	if (LastNumMins!=NumMins(hour(),minute()))	{	  LastNumMins=NumMins(hour(),minute());	  ReefAngel.LCD.Clear(255,0,120,132,132);	  ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,5,120,"C");	  ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,11,120,"00:00");	  ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,45,120,"L");	  ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,51,120,"00:00");	  if (cloudchance && (NumMins(hour(),minute())<cloudstart))	  {		int x=0;		if ((cloudstart/60)>=10) x=11; else x=17;		ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,x,120,(cloudstart/60));		if ((cloudstart%60)>=10) x=29; else x=35;		ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,x,120,(cloudstart%60));	  }	  ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,90,120,cloudduration);	  if (lightningchance)	  {		int x=0;		if (((cloudstart+(cloudduration/2))/60)>=10) x=51; else x=57;		ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,x,120,((cloudstart+(cloudduration/2))/60));		if (((cloudstart+(cloudduration/2))%60)>=10) x=69; else x=75;		ReefAngel.LCD.DrawText(0,255,x,120,((cloudstart+(cloudduration/2))%60));	  }	}    }  byte ReversePWMSlope(long cstart,long cend,byte PWMStart,byte PWMEnd, byte clength)  {	long n=elapsedSecsToday(now());	cstart*=60;	cend*=60;	if (n<cstart) return PWMStart;	if (n>=cstart && n<=(cstart+clength)) return map(n,cstart,cstart+clength,PWMStart,PWMEnd);	if (n>(cstart+clength) && n<(cend-clength)) return PWMEnd;	if (n>=(cend-clength) && n<=cend) return map(n,cend-clength,cend,PWMEnd,PWMStart);	if (n>cend) return PWMStart;  }

My next endeavor, which I plan to try and tackle myself is to configure a custom main screen with just the information I want to see.

More on this later.

I worked on the lights over the weekend! I have good and bad news. First for the good news, the LEDS have been moved on to seperate drivers the bad news is that I fried 6 of my blue leds and that I think there is a problem with my new dimmable meanwell driver. There is an internal potentiometer that you can adjust the output current, but it turns indefinitely in each direction. I am not going to hook it up to my new leds and risk frying them with too much current. I am going to get ahold of the retailer today.

Now I have 8 cool white leds and 4 royal blue and 1 red. The colors of the tank look terrible now.

Archived