inTank Media Baskets

Metal Halide Lighting For $100?

tackman

Reefer_Buddha
The best metal halide out there is the 6500K 250W Iwasaki Metal Halide

i duno where that guy gets his info from.

Common.. didn't you see the pie chart?:P

I'm looking at a 20 to 30 gallon tank and this is gonna be the only light on it. I know the higher k gives bluer light.

I'm looking at that refrofit kit

http://www.hellolights.com/25methalretk.html

250W (M58/H37) Metal Halide Retrofit Kit ~Probe Start for $85.00

They list like 8 bulbs.

I'm really new to this stuff, which bulb would you recommend?

Tackman, it really depends on a few things.

What performance are you looking for in your MH? Are you looking for the cheapest set up to get your feet wet? If so, then the hellolights kit is great.

If your looking to really fine tune your lighting, then you might want to do some searching and compare ballast/ bulb performance combinations, in order to get the most of what you'd like to achieve (energy savings, intensity, etc...)

I guess since I'm totaly new to all this, I would like to get my feet wet as cheap as possible, but get something that is generic enough that I can experiment with a wide range of things in my tank.

I orginally started off looking at getting PC lights, but the more I read, it seemed like they were limiting.

What do you think? Should I even try MH or just use PC?

MH is a great place to start, the hellolights kit looks like a good "experimental" system.

If your ever planning on keeping sps or clams, then MH is definetly the way to go. If your just gunna do softies, then pc's are fine.

Archived