inTank Media Baskets

No shimmer using bell pendants, any reason why

Guy

I have a 20-gallon long that currently has a horizontal PFO pendant with a single 250-watt bulb. I have been considering switching to 2 bell pendants I already own for better coverage and running 2x175 watts instead. But I noticed that the bell pendants do not offer anywhere near the nice shimmering effect that my horizontal pendant does, is there any reason why?

Thanks

Guy

I tried that, but unfortunately it doesn't make much difference, I probaly should mention the bulb in my horizontal is a 12k but the pendant is a 55K, in case it makes a difference.

Thanks

Guy

Reefer_Buddha

shimmer comes from the surface disruption and light from a source point. E.G. take a flashlight and point it down on your tank you get shimmer. So really if its horizontal or not you should still be seeing some kind of shimmer.

That was what I thought as well, even if I just used a regular light bulb over the tank the shimmer effect would be evident. It doesn’t make sense why the effect is so much less visible with my bell pendant. (Heck, that’s part of the reason I switched to MH’s)

Guy

It may have to do with the fact that the bulb is not horizontal so you are not getting the full light from that middle section of the bulb like you do on a horizontal.

Just a thought.

That's an interesting reply, the bulb in question does shimmer better in the horizantal pendant, I bet that is the reason. Which stinks, because that means I won't be happy using those pendants.

Time to buy another PFO and ballast.X)

Thanks

Guy

Archived