SaltCritters.com

Are cleaner shrimp nocturnal?

JaneG

It seems like my cleaner shrimp hides under a little ledge most of the day and then perks up after lights out. He goes crazy during feedings but I only catch glimpses of him out from his ledge when the lights are on. However, I have woken up in the middle of the night and turned on the moonlight and he's all over the place! As soon as lights are out, he hops out and walks all over the place. This makes me wonder if they're nocturnal or...? What do you all think?

Jane

Mines out all the time during the day... I only have a 14g though.... They all probably have different behaviors though

Chris George

Whenever I've purchased a new cleaner shrimp, they've been fairly shy for a week or more until they are used to the new environment. They will hide most of the time while the lights are on. I recently moved my very sociable cleaner shrimp into a new tank and he went back into shy mode for 3-4 days. Now he's back to jumping on my arm when it's in the tank. How long have you had yours?

I should also mention that I've never actually seen a cleaner shrimp "sleep." No matter what time of the day or night I come out into the room, he'll jump out from whatever rock he's under and interact with me or beg for food.

Whenever I've purchased a new cleaner shrimp, they've been fairly shy for a week or more until they are used to the new environment. They will hide most of the time while the lights are on. I recently moved my very sociable cleaner shrimp into a new tank and he went back into shy mode for 3-4 days. Now he's back to jumping on my arm when it's in the tank. How long have you had yours?

I should also mention that I've never actually seen a cleaner shrimp "sleep." No matter what time of the day or night I come out into the room, he'll jump out from whatever rock he's under and interact with me or beg for food.

It's 10 gallons. I had him for a while now, probably about 3 months. I have a couple of ideas though...when I had my 3 fish (I have none at the moment), he would try to clean them a lot more (even though they were all scared of him) and was out a bit more. Perhaps they do better with fish? I also know they're relatively social, so maybe adding another would help?

mine hops around every corner of my tank. when food is coming, he's swimming in the water and dancing on the rocks. he loves to be out all day

my 2 cleaner shrimp are always out day or night...darting around like little psychopaths attacking anything that moves lol.

fish or another cleaner could help bring yours out IMO. mine seem to do better with more social activity in the tank, fish and invert wise.

my 2 cleaner shrimp are always out day or night...darting around like little psychopaths attacking anything that moves lol.

fish or another cleaner could help bring yours out IMO. mine seem to do better with more social activity in the tank, fish and invert wise.

I guess that's it. I will probably wait until I move everyone to my 18g tank and then get a second cleaner (they are hermaphrodites so they also provide free fish food when they breed so that's a plus) and keep some fish. Thanks all!

It seems like my cleaner shrimp hides under a little ledge most of the day and then perks up after lights out. He goes crazy during feedings but I only catch glimpses of him out from his ledge when the lights are on. However, I have woken up in the middle of the night and turned on the moonlight and he's all over the place! As soon as lights are out, he hops out and walks all over the place. This makes me wonder if they're nocturnal or...? What do you all think?

Jane

omgsh I had two in my 55, they always did this, during the day they were behind the rocks, then at night they were all out and about <_< I had them for a long time, there behavior didn't change

Mine never sleeps either, and he enjoys pulling the hairs out the back of my hand. He is a little £$@! sometimes. I'd say he was just being shy but he'll come out to terrorize your tank soon enough. Especially if you give him any squid (mine goes berserk when ever I feed squid)

Hm, I think it might just be his personality. Because cleaners do better in pairs/groups, I went out and bought another, smaller cleaner for him. He's def. more active, but I can tell the smaller one is the more outgoing of the two. However, giving him a buddy has made him more active. :happy: I also think he might be more active when the lights are out because they're found in caves/overhangs in the wild, where there isn't much light.

Hm, I think it might just be his personality. Because cleaners do better in pairs/groups, I went out and bought another, smaller cleaner for him. He's def. more active, but I can tell the smaller one is the more outgoing of the two. However, giving him a buddy has made him more active. :happy: I also think he might be more active when the lights are out because they're found in caves/overhangs in the wild, where there isn't much light.

hmm all this could be true - Mine .. you cant get him to sleep :) hes running around chasing my pods around all day long, and cleaning my blenny every once in a while (the other fish refuse to have any of him) then at night i see him poking at the fish as they are trying to sleep :)

My gf has one in her edge - and hes active as all can be..

Archived