ReefCleaners.org

Hagen Test Kits?

Chromis

From previous posts I see that people seem to prefer Salifert test kits but I would like to buy a saltwater and freshwater compatible all in one kit if possible. Hagen offers one for $60 with low pH, high pH, Iron, Nitrite, Phosphate, Nitrate, Calcium, GH, KH, and Ammonia.

Anyone have any gripes about these tests?

Any others you can recommend for both fresh and salt?

Get the Salifert range. Best all round in my opinion. Or the Tetratest range is just as good, maybe slightly more expensive.

IMO the Hagen range is problamatic.

The colour chart for nitrate test which I have, the colour gets a deeper pinkish colour. But its really hard to tell whether its at the lower range or higher range.

Hope you understand what I mean.

On the other tests the colour grades are way easier to tell.

I just use the Nitrate test by Hagen to know if I have any nitrates--rather than how much. zzz

Hagens Tests Kits Suck, the PH Scale Runs from green to blue, but the test produces purple results...i mean WTF?

I like aquarium pharmasuticles, (cheap and affective) not sure if it works for fresh, but i have a feeling it will.

I bought the hagen master test kit a couple of years ago.

It is completely useless My PH kit actually read in the Browns?????

the Nitrate I could test three times in a row and different everytime. Who wants a Iron kit? Do you need a low end PH kit?

the CA kit (if your CA levels are normal 400-450ppm) is good for about 10 tests, but still not accurate. although I liked the carrying case that alone was not worth the $45 I spent (cheaper on E-bay)

Get your self some salifert kits they are inexpensive and fairly accurate.

GL,

Toy

Oops, didnt quite read the bit about the freshwater bit.

If you want to use it for both, I suggest going with the Tetratest. I have been using it for many years now, very accurate and easy to do.

Although not all tests will work on both SW and FW eg the pH one I have doesnt work on SW etc, but nitrates, nitrites and ammonia all work on both etc.

hey...if youa re thinking about paying $60 for Hagen..go on ebay..there is a person there selling it $28..

i agree with others that hagen sucks, use either Salfrit or Fastest works well also...and why would you want to test freshwater? just let it be..it will be fine, i have a 30 gallon freshwater planted tank, i have NEVER TEST he water nor done any WATER CHANGES!!! its been up and running for 4 years and never a fish died on me! all i do is add tap water without even spending the money on ammo/chlro products...so forget your freshwater and concentrate on your reef, spend more money on getting reliable test kits..

Originally posted by Chromis

From previous posts I see that people seem to prefer Salifert test kits but I would like to buy a saltwater and freshwater compatible all in one kit if possible.  Hagen offers one for $60 with low pH, high pH, Iron, Nitrite, Phosphate, Nitrate, Calcium, GH, KH, and Ammonia.

Anyone have any gripes about these tests?

Any others you can recommend for both fresh and salt?

You will not need iron, low pH or GH for a saltwater tank. I use the aqm pharm saltwater master test kit. The Nitrite and high pH are the same for FW and SW. The only calcium kits I would consider are salifert and seachem.

Ty

Archived